Mrs

Guest jane bristow

Guest jane bristow

Fire Detection and Alarm System requires new inspection certificate following repairs?

Block of 7 flats.  Fire system failed inspection with 8 faults in May 2017.  The faults were not repaired.  It was next inspected by the same electrician in January 2019 and failed again on the same 8 faults.  The faults were not repaired.  It was next inspected by the same electrician in June 2019 and failed again on the same 8 faults plus another 2 with 4 of the faults now identified as urgent.  The faults were not repaired.  I became aware of the situation 4 weeks ago.  The block managing agent tells me that the electrician has now repaired the faults and has shown me his invoice but it simply states 'fire system repairs' rather than specifying what items were repaired.  I also asked for a new inspection certificate to verify that it was now satisfactory and had no faults.  The electrician has given me a duplicate of the failed certificate issued last June but this version now states 'satisfactory' and has no faults listed.  My problem is that on the date of this 'new' certificate the fire system actually wasn't satisfactory because it had 10 faults.  I would like to know if the electrician should have inspected the system after he had repaired the 10 faults on 21/10/19 and issued a new certificate on that date.  I need this for peace of mind that my flat and the block it is in is safe and that the buildings insurance is now valid (I have been told it wasn't valid while the fire system was reported as faulty).

10 hours ago, Guest jane bristow said:

I would like to know if the electrician should have inspected the system after he had repaired the 10 faults on 21/10/19 and issued a new certificate on that date. 

That would have made sense but you have a document that state all is correct so is that not sufficient, you could also show it to the concerned bodies to check they are satisfied. 

Guest Jane Bristow

The problem is that I have 2 certificates dated 13/6/19 .... one says ‘unsatisfactory’ and lists 10 faults while the other say ‘satisfactory’ with no faults listed. The system was not working or safe on 13/6/19 but it was on 21/10/19 after it had been repaired (I hope!).  I have been told that when the electrician completed the repairs he should have tested/inspected the system to satisfy himself that it was safe and working and then issue a certificate on that date to verify his findings. By reissuing the old certificate he is stating that it was safe and working in June which it wasn’t.  So I am just looking for some definite clarity on the matter.  I’d be very grateful for your guidance please. Thank you.