Internal Fire Doors, UK 3 Story Flats

I have just bought a flat, three-story block of flats in Cambridge.

All of the internal doors are fire doors which I understand is a requirement. But all of them are fitted with a self-closing chain (see attached image).

Currently the property is a private dwelling (I occupy it). But in future I will likely rent it.

So my question: What are he UK requirements for internal doors in flats? Can someone point in the direction of the guide lines/requirements

IMG_20190721_124437_compress2.jpg

I would advise you to consult the following local government document on this subject....."Fire Safety in Purpose Built Blocks of Flats" at https://www.local.gov.uk/sites/default/files/documents/fire-safety-purpose-built-04b.pdf 

Fire Safety in Purpose Built Blocks of Flats.PNG

Edited by Neil ashdown
Add more information

For decades in the past  it was a Building Regulation requirement for certain  internal doors in dwellings (especially flats) to be self closing fire doors, but for a long time now that requirement has been removed and they just need to be fire doors. Most of the time the chains were cut or doors propped so it was considered pointless and better to allow free swing and educate to close at night.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...