Landlord Responsibilities

digga100

I am a tenant of a Registered Social Landlord. I live in a one bedroom flat on the second floor, with kichen, living room and bathroom all on the same level.

I do not know anything about regulations my landlord must follow but am concerned that some of my neighbours have had alarms/detection measures installed but I have none.

Will you kindly tell me what fire or smoke detection/prevntion measure my landlord MUST provide and tell me the relevant legislation so that I may approach my landlord, if necessary.

Apologies if I am in the wrong topic on the site or have missed the answers elsewhere.

Thank you for your help.

Thank you for that quick reply, Tom. I'm sorry I wasn't so quick coming back!

The link you gave me was easy to read and sufficiently detailed. Until I got to section 18 - where it says " The regulations do not apply to social housing landlords."

My landlord IS a social housing landlord so now I am not sure if there are ANY regulations for my landlord or if there is something different which applies to them.

Sorry to be a nuisance.

Thank you

The legislation didn't cover social housing landlords as it wasn't considered necessary as they were deemed to be responsible and unlike the 'rogue' private sector not needing extra legislation.

The Housing Act still applies and is enforced by the council via the housing health and safety rating system (HHSRS) - lack of suitable provision of smoke alarms would be a hazard enforceable under this system.