Smoke alarm constantly flashing red

Guest Beth

I have two 660 MBX smoke alarms (battery and mains operated). Manufacturing date is 2015. One went off randomly so I pressed hush button. Have cleaned and changed batteries, but as soon as I put a battery in the one that originally went off, it goes off again and will only stop if press hush button. It also constantly flashes red (every second).  When I connect to mains the green lights show on both alarms, but the red light constantly flashes and the alarm goes off. Any ideas why it is doing this or what to do?

Hi Beth

The red light flashing every second, even when the alarm is silenced, indicates that it thinks there is smoke present at all times. As you say they have been vacuumed so it shouldn’t be a dust problem. That leaves two possibilities:

1.    The alarm was installed in or too close to the wrong type of room, like a kitchen or garage, and the sensor has been contaminated by fumes and residues that a vacuum cleaner won’t remove.

2.    The alarm is simply faulty and will need replacing under warranty.

Harry

• 1 year later...
Guest Adriana

The smoke alarm in my room is hard wired 

the red lights are continuously flashing until it makes a clicking noise, then it stops. Then the clicking noise happens again and it starts again 

is this normal?

• 2 months later...
Guest Ei optical smoke alarm

My smoke alarm is constantly flashing red, it’s situated in my living room with the kitchen nearby. I have had the oven on and it was quite smoky? 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Robert

Hi,

I have a single hard wired BRK 670MBX. I replaced the battery and noticed the alarm was near the expiry date so I replaced the alarm as well. No issues for 6 months then last night the alarm sounded but for no reason. After silencing the alarm the red led flashes every 7 seconds  and after 2-3 minutes the alarm sounds again. I have replaced the new battery and hoovered out the alarm but it still goes off for no reason. Can you help.

You appear to be saying your smoke alarm is only 6 months old, if this is the case, I suggest you send it back under warrantee.

If your smoke alarm is over 12 months old I would suggest that as the BRK 670MBX is an ionisation smoke alarm I would suggest you change it to an optical smoke alarm such as This one from safelincs

• 1 year later...
On 03/06/2022 at 16:10, Guest Robert said:

Hi,

I have a single hard wired BRK 670MBX. I replaced the battery and noticed the alarm was near the expiry date so I replaced the alarm as well. No issues for 6 months then last night the alarm sounded but for no reason. After silencing the alarm the red led flashes every 7 seconds  and after 2-3 minutes the alarm sounds again. I have replaced the new battery and hoovered out the alarm but it still goes off for no reason. Can you help.

I've got the same problem. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Hi, as the question was asked way back in 2022, and the OP has never been back since, could you please be more specific.

What make/model are the detectors you have, how old are they, when did you last change the batteries, have you cleaned them, what is the problem you are having, how often does it happen?