Bespoke Fire Doors

Guest Tim

Hi Safelincs,

Could you please advise on bespoke FD30 fire doors for kitchen and living room? We currently have standard door frames and would like to replace them with glazed fire doors. Unfortunately they are not standard size but a little smaller so we believe they will need to be made bespoke. Do you know whether this is possible?

Thanks

Tim

We don't currently have a fire door frame just a standard door frame which I believe we need to replace. Would a fire door frame be of a larger size than the existing one meaning the fire door would need to be smaller?

Also, would your glazed fire doors work with the following sliding door kit as we would like to have that on one of the doors

Sliding door kit

Thank you

Tim

Hi Tim

Our fire door frames are 32mm thick, which is about half an inch thicker than a normal non-fire door frame, so you can expect to lose about one inch in the width of the door leaf.

I can only speak about our fire doors, but our glazed fire doors would not work with your proposed sliding mechanism as the wooden edging around the glass protrudes (see image) and would catch.

Harry

20140115_080422.JPG

Are you aware of any sliding door mechanisms that are FD30 and not pocket system. I found the Marathon set up however it seems to only be fire rated in one direction, meaning if we had inside our living room it would prevent fire coming into the living room but not out of it into the hallway. There is no room to have the sliding mechanism installed on the other side of the wall as it's the end of the hallway.

Also, we are installing engineered wood which is raising the level of the floor by a little. This means that the door frames are no longer the standard height the fire doors are sold in. Is there anything that can be done to help install fire doors after this. As far as I can see we can either raise the height of the door assuming there is nothing to prevent us from doing it ( buying bespoke fire doors). Are there any other options available?

Thank you

Tim

If it has been tested correctly then as far as I can remember if has to be fire resistant for both sides and could be satisfactory for your purposes, I would contact the manufacturer to obtain his advice.

The height of the door will be dictated by the lintel and will limit the height you can raise the door which would only leave you one option buying bespoke fire doors, I cannot think of any other way.