HMO FIRE RATED DOWNLIGHTS

PAUL GRIFFITHS

I HAVE BEEN ASKED TO PROVIDE CERTIFICATION THAT THE DOWNLIGHTS FITTED WITHIN THE STUDENT ACCOMADATION IS FIRE RATED. THE PROBLEM IS THEY ARE STANDARD DOWNLIGHTS THAT HAVE BEEN FITTED FOR 15/16 YEARS , THE ONLY CHANGE THAT HAS BEEN MADE IS CHANGING THE LAMP FROM HALOGEN TO LED .

AM I RIGHT IN THINKING THAT BECAUSE WE ARE NOT ALTERING THE CIRCUIT THAT THESE ARE ACCEPTABLE ?

SURELY WE ARENT EXPECTED TO UPDATE EVER PIECE OF ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION TO FOLLOW THE NEW REGS OTHERWISE AND DONT GET ME WRONG WE WOULD JUST BE GOING BACK TO EVERY SINGLE JOB AND UPGRADING INLINE WITH THEM (WOULD BE GREAT FOR BUISNESS)

DOES ANYBODY KNOW THE ANSWER AND IF SO WHERE I COULD FIND THIS IN WRITING

TIA-PAUL

How have you converted the halogen downlight to a LED downlight, this is important, because it is not about electrical safety its about breaching a fire resistance membrane with a number of reasonable large holes and they need to achieve the required fire resistance of the ceiling. 

I believe all Paul has done is to change the Halogen lamp to an LED lamp, so the fitting is the same as was when it was fitted 16 years ago. I can not find when you HAD to fit fire proof downlights, all I did find was the building regulation for this is Part B, and this seems to have come into existence in 2010* 

There is also a misconception that ALL downlights must be fire proof, this is not the case, they must be fire proof if there is sleeping accommodation above where the downlights are installed.  So if you were to install downlights in a loft conversion since there can be no sleeping accommodation above it would be acceptable to install non fire proof downlights. But most would install them anyway as the cost difference is now minimal (And I would guess  this is where the misconception has  evolved from.)

* That is my "problem" I can not find anything that predates 2010 (After the original lights were installed)  but I am interested to see what others say (Tom?)

On 27/07/2018 at 21:36, green-foam said:

I can not find when you HAD to fit fire proof downlights, all I did find was the building regulation for this is Part B, and this seems to have come into existence in 2010* 

* That is my "problem" I can not find anything that predates 2010 (After the original lights were installed)  but I am interested to see what others say (Tom?)

Part B, came into existence in 1985 and the relevant part is B3 which shows the minimum fire resistance of floors in all types of building.

Ceilings provide an important barrier that helps to prevent the spread of fire and noise between the floors of a building. Installing recessed downlights punctures this barrier and can reduce the effectiveness of this safety barrier.

Installing fire rated downlights helps to protect your premises from the effects of both fire and noise pollution and aids compliance with building regulations governing the installation of downlights. Made from intumescent materials, fire rated downlights seal the gap between the ceiling and the fitting to offer up to 90 minutes protection against the spread of fire into the void spaces within your ceiling / loft space.

For the work to need building regulation approval it has to be a material alteration which makes the means of escape worse and changing halogen bulbs for LED bulbs, is going to reduce the risk, not make it worse, so I think ADB is not relevant.

We need to know who is asking for it and why.