Sign for electrical cupboard

Guest Gordon Davies.

Guest Gordon Davies.

There is a cupboard behind which are all the electrics for the block of flats I live in.The door has now been replaced with a new fire door and a sign Fire Door Keep Locked is in place.Should a Danger of Death sign also be in place as there was one before the new door was hung.

If it is to be locked then it will only be available to authorised personnel and I am sure they will be well aware of the dangers. Also I am not totally sure, but are sutch notice only required for high voltage equipment not low or medium.

Many thanks for your reply Tom.Behind the door are many cables for supply of electricity to all flats and my guess is they are high voltage which is why a Danger of Death sign was put in place by Scottish Power. To be honest this is only one of many problems I have with the fitting the new fire doors in the block of flats I live. For instance 7 out of the 10 doors, that is 70%, of doors to stairwells have a fault, Either ill fitting or gap well in excess or 3mm plus or minus 1mm.

12 hours ago, Gordon Davies said:

Behind the door are many cables for supply of electricity to all flats and my guess is they are high voltage

Gordon sorry to point this out but your "guess" is wrong and Tom's statement is correct.

Low voltage (as Tom mentioned) is anything that is less than 1000v ac, even if there is 3 phase in the block you live this will only be 415v ac.

As 240v ac (The voltage we have in our homes) is considered by the electrical industry to be "Low Voltage" there is no requirement to have a sign which says "High Voltage" or "Danger of death"  since only authorised persons should have access to the cupboard, and those that are authorised know what they can and  more importantly can not do.