Fire door glazing upgrade

Guest Ian williams

Guest Ian williams

Hi, 

I own a flat in a purpose built block, with a total of 6 other flats. Recently we had a fire safety assessment which pointed out a problem with the Glazing in the front door on several properties. 

The building is about 28 years old, all of the flat doors are std hardwood entrance doors with 9 small glass panels in the upper half. Aparantly when they were built there was a secondary fire retardant glazing panel fitted inside, this is no longer there and therefore the recommendation is to retrofit for 30min safety.

my question is what exactly do I need and where can I buy the materials Required. I’m fully capable to do the work but need to be certain that I have the correct materials and comply with all the regs. 

Aside from the important issue of checking that the doors are suitable as FD30s doors you can find information in the Glass & Glazing Federation 'Fire Resistant Glazing Best Practice Guide' at http://www.ggf.org.uk/groups/fire-resistant-glazing-group/fire_resistant_glazing_best_practice_guide

Also check out latest guidance from the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government at https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/707440/Advice_for_building_owners_on_assurance_and_replacing_of_flat_entrance_fire_doors.pdf and from the National Fire Chiefs Council at https://www.nationalfirechiefs.org.uk/High--Rise-Safety-for-Residents 

Fire resistant glass must only be used as part of a fire resistant glazed system – which includes the glass, the glazing seal, beads, fixings and frame. All essential components of such a system must be compatible under fire conditions, and the performance must be referenced to appropriate and relevant test evidence. I do not think fitting FR glass to the back of existing glazing is sufficient and as Neil has said make sure it is a FD30s fire door.

Check out http://www.lorientuk.com/products/fire-resistant-glazing-systems/

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your replies to my question relating to fire retardant glazing panel for a front door.  Unfortunately it seems from the info supplied it's not possible to retro fit a glass panel to bring the door up to current safety regs. and I should fit an approved door.  

I now need to find out from the company who did the fire risk assessment what makes my neighbours door is acceptable and mine "not, as they are both identical apart from a secondary glass panel screwed to the inside of the door. 

Thank you again for taking the time to reply to my question on this important subject. 

Ian

• 2 years later...
Guest Clair mel

On a similar note, we live in a ground floor flat of a converted 2 storey semi detached. The hallway is really dark so we want to replace the current door, between the communal entrance and our flat, with a semi glazed door. It's only 610 wide. I have sourced afire door, and have some glazing that I wanr installed into it. Is this possible... Still meeting fire regs? The glazing has a kite make on it. 

If the door is a fire door and you make alterations to the door and/or fit glazing, you must make sure the door leaf is suitable to have an aperture cut and that the glazing is suitably fire rated and installed correctly.

The issue is that in a fire situation the door, if not correctly glazed and installed, could fail to sufficiently resist the spread of fire.

If in any doubt consult a certificated fire door inspector for advice.

Edited by Neil ashdown
To correct typing error