Fire blanket on bed for smoker

Guest Carol

Guest Carol

Hi

I would like some information regarding a customer who has a fire blanket. Carers have been placing the fire blanket on top of the customers quilt just in case he smokes in bed. Is this the correct procedure.

I can see why they have done it but would it be effective, I am not sure, I think a more positive approach would be education and convince him of the dangers of smoking in bed. Also using flame retardant bedding especially the bed base and mattress make sure it is carrying the appropriate  labels. Check out https://www.firesafe.org.uk/furniture-and-furnishings-fire-safety-regulations-19881989-and-1993/.

Just to be clear, there are no flammability requirements for bedding. You can of course buy flame-resistant bedding and, for sure, much ordinary bedding contains flame retardant chemicals anyway (the FR industry is very good at persuading makers of flammable products to stock up on their goods). Research has shown, however, that FRs are very toxic in their stable state and, once they catch fire, produce large volumes of toxic fumes such as hydrogen cyanide. Which is probably more dangerous than tobacco smoke.