Vintage Bed

Guest Guest77

Guest Guest77

Hi

I hope you can help. Over 20 years ago I inherited a old bed. I have replaced the mattress many times of the years so not concerned about that. The part I am concerned about is the bed base. The bed consists of a headboard, footboard, two metal bits down the sides then the bed base site of this. The base has developed a big hole. 

I am hoping that someone can tell me if the bed base is fire resistant? It has BS 1877 on a label. Also if anyone can tell me anything about the fabric that covers the bed base. I have read that they mix asbestos with other materials to make fabric. 

I am a bit of a worrier.

Thanks in advance for any information and help.

IMG_20180224_110315.jpg

IMG_20180223_195200.jpg

The fire safety of all mattresses (of any size), divans and bed bases is controlled by both the The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire Safety) Regulations and The General Product Safety Regulations 2005. Only the filling material (foam or non-foam) contained in a mattress, upholstered divan or bed base must meet the FFFSR.

Only BS 1877 Part 10: 2011 A1 2012 is the current version and is relevant to children’s bedding being the specification for mattresses and bumpers for children’s cots, perambulators and similar domestic articles. I cannot find any that that just cover mattresses.

Upholstered headboards must meet the full requirements of the Regulations. Upholstered headboards and footboards of beds must meet all requirements of the Regulations. For headboards, the external surface to which a label should be attached might be the reverse face. In addition it should be noted that the fabric on the reverse of the head or foot board is considered a visible fabric for the purposes of the Regulations. Upholstered bed side-rails are considered to be similar to any upholstered bed base/divan. Therefore, all filling materials in side-rails must comply with the Regulations.

Therefore upholstered bed bases should comply with the FFFSR and mattresses should meet BS 7177 2008 A1: 2011, achieving a standard of domestic use (Low Hazard). However, the fire safety of the complete product is controlled via the GPSR. The normal route to achieve legal obligations is to have products evaluated against the British Standard best suited to product safety. In this context, a finished mattress and mattress topper, divan or bed base should comply with the low hazard category of BS 7177.

I think the trading standards do not effectively police the regulations and it is up the consumer to take care when purchasing items to ensure they are covered by the FFFSR and report any failures that they are aware of.