Can a Fire Door Inspector sign off the work?

Fiona

I have a question that I'm struggling to find an answer to. I need a some fire door to be installed in domestic and non domestic buildings. My friend is a carpenter and can make them, however he does not have any certification regarding fire door. Is it possible that he will manufacture and install fire door needed and a Fire Door Inspector will sing them off and issue a valid completion certificate.

Does the manufacturer have to resource all the components for the fire door from certified suppliers?

Hello Neil, 

I know that he is able to make them from scratch using loose timber. He is familiar with the process and assuming he will follow all regulation is there a chance the door will pass Fire Door Inspection?  It also can be done with the materials from the fire door manufacturer if necessary.

With the easy availability of MTM 'certified' products nowadays I really don't understand why 'a friend' would even be considered. 

Im a joiner (back in the day) and I've actually made 'proper' fire doors with plasterboard cores etc - but I wouldn't even contemplate it now. Surely there's no justifiable reason for doing so. 

Soory, but get it done by an expert. 

Hi Fiona,

A competent craftsman could make an excellent high quality door in his workshop but the problem with making a fire door from scratch is that there will be no evidence of fire separation performance. In the case of fire doors in the UK the manufacturer must be able to provide evidence of performance (in accordance with BS 476 part 22 and/or BS EN 1634) for the products supplied. No inspector of any flavour can provide fire performance product certification, only a certification body can do this and they can do so only against suitable evidence of performance.

However, if using a fire door blank the blank manufacturer will be able to provide a copy of the fire performance test report for the product as well as the relevant assessment report. They will also be able to provide instructions for sizing, machining, gluing and lipping the fire door blank as well as details about the door hardware, seals and other components to be used with the fire door assembly. These instructions must be carefully followed and the installation must be in accordance with those instructions too. If your carpenter works with fire doors then he will also possess the latest version of BS 8214 code of practice for timber based fire doors, this document provides important information about installation and any installer, maintainer or inspector should have a copy. Best to check all of this before proceeding because most of all you need your fire doors at your buildings to be fit for purpose.

A certificated fire door inspector will be able to offer advice and inspect the finished installed product but the first thing he will look for is suitable evidence of performance. He can provide an inspection report identifying the fire doors as compliant with current standards........or not should he detect any defects or non-compliance. If he finds any non-compliance his inspection report will detail the necessary remedial action BUT no inspector can provide fire performance product certification, only a certification body can do this and then only against suitable evidence of performance.

As we have seen in the media many fire doors are non-compliant due to lack of knowledge amongst specifiers, suppliers, installers and building inspectors. I hope this info helps and that the project goes smoothly.

Dear Neil, 

thank you very much for this message. That clarifies a lot. He works for a home improvement company that manufactures timer windows and doors but do not have any certification for the fire door. I know the company's directors are thinking about it but I assume it will take a while to get everything sorted. 

Thank you all again for all inputs. Very helpful. 

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Although not specifically mandated, it would be good practice for a competent person to inspect the new fire doors and the installation works for compliance with the relevant standards. Otherwise, how do you know they are suitable and adequate to provide the necessary fire & smoke protection? Guidance from HM Gov for fire safety in residential buildings can be found here https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/fire-safety-legislation-guidance-for-those-with-legal-duties#guidance-for-residential-buildings-under-the-fire-safety-order

• 8 months later...
Guest Fire Door Certificate

I have been asked to send one of our site managers on a couse which enables him to sign off fire door installation etc.

We purchase the fire doors via a company to build the doors and we install them in hospitals where we are currently carrying out refurbishements. 

Could you advise the best course for our site manager to attend to gain a certificate to sign these fire doors off please.

Are you looking for Third party Certification for fire door installation work for your business OR are you looking to have a site manager trained on how fire doors should be installed, inspected and verified as compliant?  You might need both, depending on your clients' requirements.