NU-SWIFT E 4000

Guest Jonathon

Guest Jonathon

Hi there, I'm after a bit of advice regarding a NU-SWIFT E 4000 Auto (UNI-FLASH) fire extinguisher.  

There are 2 of them on a farm that I work at, 1 is in the kitchen and the other in there workshop. They are dated 1982. I've read up a little bit about them and they seem to be dangerous to use now as they harm the ozone layer suposidly.  Both are full btw.

That said, the owners are reluctant to change them as a family member used to be a salesman for NU-SWIFT and had said they would still work after 50 years. What type of fires would they have been used for as it does say the fumes given off are dangerous, especially in confined spaces. 

The Model E4000 contauins a Nu Swift exclusive extinguishing agent - Uni-Flash liquid and is 75% 1-1-1 Trichloroethane and 25% Bromomethane.

It was developed as a cheaper alternative to Chlorobromoethane (CBM) which was the post World War 2 alternative to the commonly used Carbon Tetrachloride (CTC). CBM was less toxic and more effective than CTC, but far more expensive so many customers stuck to CTC - Uni flash liquid was intended to be an option that was less toxic & more effective than CTC without being too expensive.

Uni Flash liquid was soon overtaken in the late 60's by the invention of BCF/Halon 1211 which replaced all existing vapourising liquids being far superior in effectiveness and low toxicity, although Nu Swift continued to offer it for many years after until the early 80's.

It's main use was for electrical fires, machinery/vehicle fires and small liquid fires.

The contents are toxic and teratogenic in their own right and the by products of discharge on a fire are also toxic. The contents are also destructive to the environment and in 2003 general use of these and other halons became an offence as a ban was introduced.

Nu Swift were infamous for their silver tongued salesmen who would say all sorts of things to justify their prices and to get a sale and 50 years life is one example (Nu Swift service engineers themselves would have condemned them at 10 years old!)

These extinguishers should have been annually serviced and every 10 years discharge tested and recharged and should have be taken out of service many years ago.

Where is the farm? If anywhere within my area of work I'd replace them free as I would put them in my fire extinguisher museum.

Guest Jonathon

Many thanks for such amazing information. Have looked at both of them some more and unscrewing the outer case reviled nothing inside either of them. We asumed they were full as the handle was in the upright position and had never been used.  I was going on year of manufacture by the writing on the service record paper stuck to them. I now realise this date was the last time they were serviced or looked at, so may well have been when the insides were removed. This is a rented farm and they were left by the previous relative when he retired. 

Very dangerous for whoever did that to leave the extinguishers installed without the pressure charges as whilst obsolete somebody may see them and assume they may work - in 1982 they were still serviceable so it's likely they've been stripped in more recent years. Still collectable if in good order as the charges are still in circulation to restore them.

• 6 years later...
Guest Danny

20230809_084605.thumb.jpg.0d8e770e3b4d1cc1f62caf6f83571180.jpg20230809_084605.thumb.jpg.0d8e770e3b4d1cc1f62caf6f83571180.jpgHi was reading this page and just wanted to know do u really have a museum as I might have something u would like

20230809_084619.jpg

20230809_084605.jpg

On 09/08/2023 at 23:07, Guest Danny said:

20230809_084605.thumb.jpg.0d8e770e3b4d1cc1f62caf6f83571180.jpg20230809_084605.thumb.jpg.0d8e770e3b4d1cc1f62caf6f83571180.jpgHi was reading this page and just wanted to know do u really have a museum as I might have something u would like

20230809_084619.jpg

20230809_084605.jpg

Hi,

Yes I do - I can see a Chubb PSK 5 5 kilo ABC Powder extinguisher from the 70's next to it as well! Equally collectible.

Here's about 10% of the total collection I have:

No photo description available.