Inspection of fire exit stairs

Guest BarryLl

Guest BarryLl

We have some fire exit staircases on our site. I am looking for what regulations exist for the checking of these. Do they need to be examined and if so by who?
can we carry out basic checks ?

Assuming it is a steel external fire escape staircases, this issue has always been a subject of much debate with various property managers and I suggest a more pragmatic view as to whether the inspection frequency is ‘mandatory’ or simply guidance, however I think it is mandatory because, The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 states “Maintenance 17. 1. Where necessary in order to safeguard the safety of relevant persons the responsible person must ensure that the premises and any facilities, equipment and devices provided in respect of the premises under this Order or, subject to paragraph (6), under any other enactment, including any enactment repealed or revoked by this Order, are subject to a suitable system of maintenance and are maintained in an efficient state, in efficient working order and in good repair. 

Therefore, in the absence of any more prescriptive guidance I would default back to BS 8210 – 2012 entitled – ‘British Standard Guide to Building Maintenance Management’ – which recommends a structural survey of the external fire escape of no more than 5 years. However I see a lot of FRA's still state 3 yearly checks, where does this information come from I do not know. 

BS 8210 is still current, why not simply use that as your benchmark and increase or decrease the frequency if the risk demands. 

Perhaps where the escape staircase provides the only secondary MOE from sleeping accommodation - esp. Hotels and 'sleeping unfamiliar' premises - and the stairs/building is very old, upping the frequency of the BS to 3 years maybe valid. On the other hand, a nonferrous (aluminium) escape staircase to 'awake familiar' (office) could be stretched to 7 years. 

In the absence of any other benchmark, I reckon you could justify using the guidance within BS 8210. 

Apart from structural survey’s you need to consider inspections and checks on a more frequent basis.  If an external staircase is used every day then the time between checks could increase because minor issues would be picked up on a day to day basis. Certain issues like how the structure is secured and issues that aren't likely to get pick up with day to day use, should be checked on a more frequent basis. 

For an external staircase that is only used in an emergency then I would look at 6 monthly inspections for someone to open the door at the top of the stairs and walk down them looking for obvious faults. Suitable times to do this may be before a fire drill which generally most would expect to be carried out twice a year. 

I see it as a risk assessment situation with unfortunately little or no guidance.

If you google the net you will find a company that could do the structural survey. The inspections and checks could be done in-house with training.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Good evening

I hope someone can help me on this parallel problem.  In fact it seems to be the opposite side of this topic.

I have Power of Attorney for an elderly lady living in a private 1960s purpose-built 3-storey block of flats.  The building has 3 entrances from the street and each has stairs up to 2 flats on each of the 3 floors, so 18 apartment - 6 on each level.  The stairs in the communal lobbies are leasehold and the apartments privately owned.  These stairs constitute the primary escape route and the front doors to the apartments were changed last year to FD30s.

At the rear of the building are 3 sets of iron stairs up to the first and second floors, so 6 staircases.  The management of the block changed in January and that commercial firm presumably did an inspection of the building and found no problems.  Sadly that firm had to cancel the contract and a new management company took over.  They did their inspection and have declared the iron staircases "potentially dangerous" and have chained them off making these back stairs unusable.  They are not designated as fire escapes but give the residents (mostly very elderly widowed ladies) access to rubbish bins in the car park.  

These stairs are wider and less steep than the main stairs at the front.  They were refurbished about 5 years ago as they are suffering from rust.

Now my question:  please can anyone suggest what the residents need to do to get a second opinion on the condition of these stairs; it is strange that what was ok in January is now dangerous in May.  Is there a government agency to oversee this matter ?  Merseyside Fire & Rescue Service sent someone to inspect but he could only confirm that they are not a fire escape and could not give an opinion as to structural safety.  I contacted the local council building control who referred me to HSE, who referred me to building control.

The property is located in Liverpool L23.  I would be grateful of any advice.  I find that I am unable to attach photos (advice on what to do appreciated).

The only thing you could do is to employ a metal fire escape inspector/surveyor and get a report. How you would share the costs would be a problem and as these surveyors are usually attached to fabricators getting a truly independent survey would be problematic. 

The only thing you could do is to employ a metal fire escape inspector/surveyor and get a report. How you would share the costs would be a problem and as these surveyors are usually attached to fabricators getting a truly independent survey would be problematic.