Balcony door to be fire door

Guest JonathanP

Guest JonathanP

Hi.

I own an apartment in a block of flats that is accessed via an external balcony. I replaced the front with a standard UPVC double-glazed unit. However the management company have stated that it must be an FD30S fire door. Various glaziers have told me that this type of fire door is typically used internally, not externally. In your experience, please can you confirm if this is also your general understanding. I'm aware that you are not in a position to comment on this specific case but I would value your opinion.

Many thanks, Jonathan

The management company is the Responsible Person (RP) and will have conducted a fire risk assessment (FRA) which has required all front doors to be FD30s doors. You will have to accept this, unless you are prepared to contest the FRA which will not be easy however you could request a home inspection by the local fire and rescue service to see what they would say.

Check out  http://www.firesafe.org.uk/uk-fire-rescue-services-details/

Guest Jonathan Paine

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your answer. Even if a home inspection does confirm that a FD30s fire door isn't necessary, the management company may choose to ignore this. As they are the Responsible Person (RP), they have the final say and so I guess I'll just have to comply. Thanks

• 4 years later...