Replacing floor spring door closer with overhead door closer

Guest Louise

Guest Louise

Can you replace floor spring door closer with an over head door closer (this is for a fire door)? I am struggling to find the correct floor spring closer so wanted to know whether I could fit and an overhead one on the same door instead?

Hi Louise,

You are correct a fire door (unless a FIRE DOOR KEEP LOCKED cupboard or store type door) must have a self- closer and replacing a floor spring with a BS1154 compliant Fire Door overhead self-closer is fine (consider direction of travel if on an escape route though). However I would recommend consulting an FDIS qualified inspector/installer for guidance on how the work should be carried out in order to make sure you finish up with a compliant fire resisting door assembly,

The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 places an obligation on the Responsible Person to ensure fire safety devices are fit for purpose and that Competent Persons are consulted as necessary.

Hope this helps, kind regards Neil.

Depends if it is a double or single swing door, if it is a double swing door you would not be able to use an overhead closer if it is a single swing door then no problem however you should consider the hinges they may need rearranging.