Are rising butt hinges allowed for fire doors?

Guest Williamalle

Guest Williamalle

I am trying to find out whether rising butts are permissible for the front doors of flats.It is a 1930`s building which is being refubished. The doors open onto an internal corridor. The Buildig Regulations are not very clear.

Approved document B (fire safety) volume 2 page 143 define a Self-closing device as a device which is capable of closing the door from any angle and against any latch fitted to the door.

Rising butt hinges on a fire door opening into an internal corridor is unlikely to meet that criterion so they cannot be classed as a self-closer. The only place a rising butt hinge could be accepted is for a door in a cavity barrier.

• 7 months later...

Good afternoon

I have been advised by a risk assessment conducted in my block of flat that the hinges of my door are not adequate as you indicated.

Please can you advice if I can replace the butt hinges maintaining the present door and still complying with fire regulations? I am not keen to change the door as the cost is not insignificant

thank you very much

I have no idea if your door meets the required fire resistance but if you have been told, that you only need to replace the rising butt hinges, then simply replace with fire door hinges and fit a closing device, see the links below.

Check out http://www.safelincs.co.uk/fire-rated-hinges-set-of-3-product-1/?fGB=true  http://www.safelincs.co.uk/door-closers/

• 4 years later...
Guest rising butt hinges

can we get CE mark rising butt hinges for a fire door and fit with a closer to BS en 1154, floors are out of level so rising butt gets over the issue and closes with the correct threshold gap?

• 1 year later...
Guest Jane

I have very heavy internal double doors that open onto a hallway, however the doors open onto a thick rug and can only be partially opened.  Would rising butt hinges be suitable for theses doors (I am loathe to shave off the bottom of the doors as there would be a considerable gap under the doors)

thank you

• 4 weeks later...