Handmade cushion covers polyester

Guest anna

Hello I make handmade cushion covers and sell them as the complete set cushion pad (100% polyester) and cover. I'm unsure whether cushion pads need to be labeled with anything saying that they meet fire safety regulations. None of the cushion pads have the label on it and I'm wondering whether I'm doing wrong through selling them.

Please would you be able to help.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards
Anna

Yes they are subject to the regulations and require a shorter label giving only the minimum information. The guidance states,

Scatter cushions and seat pads

The regulatory requirement for scatter cushions and seat pads is that the filling material only must satisfy the relevant ignition test and each individual item must bear a reduced information permanent label (see Section 6.3). A scatter cushion is any small cushion which can be moved to any position in a room and is supplied separately (i.e. not comprising an integral part of an item of upholstered seating). A seat pad is generally accepted to be an especially small cushion intended to be used with items such as a wooden kitchen or dining chair, again here it is not an integral part of any item of upholstered furniture. Whilst the size of a scatter cushion or seat pad is not defined in the Regulations it is commonly accepted that a scatter cushion has dimensions which are less than 60cm x 60cm x nominal product thickness and a seat pad has dimensions no greater than 30cm x 30cm x 1cm thick.

For scatter cushions which are provided with a fitted and non-removable decorative cover the requirement is that a permanent label is attached securely to an exterior surface (often attached to the seam). However, there has been some confusion when the scatter cushion interior pad has been supplied with a zip-on removable cover. This is because the required label refers only to the filling materials for scatter cushions and there are no requirements for the fire resistance of the cover. Hence, if the label is fitted to the zip-on cover and subsequently the cover and filling become separated, or the cover ends up on a different filling, the label would be inaccurate. Enforcement officers accept labels fixed to the interior pads of scatter cushions and suggest that the label protrudes through a partly open zip at the point of sale so it is visible.

Check out http://www.fira.co.uk/document/fira-flammability-guide-october-2011pdf.pdf

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Loose or stretch covers are removable covers which are supplied by a producer other than the manufacturer of the furniture. These are designed to be placed on top of an existing finished piece of furniture which is already fitted with a permanent cover. This distinction is made because only the manufacturer of the furniture concerned will have detailed knowledge of how it complies with the Regulations. Loose covers for upholstered furniture must comply with Schedule 5, Part 1 of the Regulations and stretch covers must comply with Schedule 5, Part 2 of the Regulations as these are sold separately from the furniture. They also need to have a permanent label attached to them and this label may appear on the underside of the fabric. There are no display label requirements for loose and stretch covers.

• 7 months later...

The Regulations apply to upholstered outdoor furniture suitable for use in dwellings (e.g. homes, conservatories, caravans etc). The Regulations do not apply to garden furniture which is unsuitable for use in dwellings (i.e. garden furniture which would not physically fit indoors), non-upholstered garden furniture (e.g. deck-chairs and parasols) and cover fabric of any removable canopy part of upholstered garden furniture which is intended to act as sunshade or waterproof cover when the article is used in the open air. If there is any likelihood of the garden furniture being brought inside the dwelling for use or storage then it will need to comply with the Regulations. All upholstered cushions, whether tie on or permanent, supplied for use with garden or outdoor furniture are required to satisfy the Regulations. Each separate finished item and removable cushion set should have a permanent label. It has been observed that ‘Not for Indoor Use’ labels are attached to outdoor products with the intention to make these products exempt from the requirements of the Regulations. If there is any likelihood of an outdoor upholstered furniture item being brought indoors (and if it is possible to physically carry this item indoors), then this product must comply with the Regulations regardless of any labels stating ‘Not for Indoor Use’.

• 1 month later...
Guest Nicola

Hello,

I’m a teacher in a special needs school and we have a number of chairs that are covered in in a fabric that is no longer suitable for our new Covid cleaning schedule. They now need to be wipeable. We are hoping to add an extra water resistant cover over the top of the original fabric as an upholstery project with the pupils. Will we need to buy special certified fabric and add labels? Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

Schools are not covered by Fire safety of furniture and furnishings in the home A Guide to the UK Regulations this only applies to domestic premises.

You are subject to Fire safety of furniture and furnishings in the contract and non-domestic sectors also the fire safety order which require a fire risk assessment, which your proposals will instigate a review and this review will dictate what you need to do.

• 1 month later...
Guest Confused

Hello, I want to make stuffed draught excluders, outer crib 5 wool that is Fire retardant. Hollow fibre filling that meets regulation. I simply Stuff the draught excluders and sew it up. Do I need any labels attached or a swing ticket. Many thanks Mrs Confused

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Carrie Phillips

Hi, I want to sell cushions for children over 3yrs. The cushion inner comply with all standards and fire regulations. Now what do I have to apply to the handmade cushion cover? 

Guest Jeanette

Hi, I am a business, I looking to make 3”x3” square padded Christmas tree decorations to sell at a Christmas fair, non removable, am correct in saying that if I put a sheet in with the pillow all the relevant information ie:

this is not a toy

not suitable for children under 3yrs

To avoid suffocation keep away from children 

flammable! Keep away from heat sources and naked flames. 
is this enough or do I need a label on my item?

Jeanette 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A notice board cover in fabric, when in use it will have paper pinned to it which would be more flammable the the board. It is generally accepted that notice boards located in escape routes should be limited in number and the surface spread of flame properties should class 1 at least. A way to achieve this is to fit the notice board in a glass cabinet and have as few as possible. It would all depend on the fire risk assessment what would be acceptable or accepted.

Guest cushion covers

I sell cushion covers ranging from 20cm to 45cm someone has asked me to supply them with 60cm cushion covers will i have to have the covers tested at all due to the size of them i only sell the covers no inners thank you 

I think I would class them as floor cushions, floor cushions must meet all of the requirements of the Regulations. Floor cushions are considered to be any cushion supplied separately and not comprising an integral part of an item of upholstered seating. While not defined in the Regulations, it is commonly accepted that a floor cushion has dimensions which are greater than 60cm x 60cm x nominal product thickness. If there is any doubt over compliance with the Regulations it is recommended that expert advice is sought check out Fire safety of furniture and furnishings in the home A Guide to the UK Regulations  Section 11.

• 2 months later...
Guest Upholstery fabric

Hi Tom, I hope you can help. I want to reupholster a chair for reselling purposes, I have already acquired the fabric I want to use but I know it needs to be treated. Can you please be so kind to inform ne what body/companies are FIRA approved that can treat the fabric for me to make it safe for commercial use and who supply the labelling for the fabric to attach to the chair for display? Thank you in advance. Pete

While you wait for a reply from Tom, I googled, there are companies that will spray fabric with a fire retardant solution, minimum price is £96 + £6 / m of fabric

and as Tom would say "Check out Fire safety of furniture and furnishings in the home A Guide to the UK Regulations page 29, A4.1. "

(I guess they have changed it, I believe Tom means page 35. A 41 ?)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest A A h

Hi, I want to sell scatter cushion covers 45x45, (without inners) made from vintage material and wondered if will they need to be tested at all or require labelling? I was told no, but please can you advise? Thanks!