Do pet beds have to be fire retardant?

Guest KirstenRob

Guest KirstenRob

I hope you can help me as I am receiving mixed information regarding furniture (dog beds) for pets. The cushion used in the bed can be non-fire retardant and the filling has to be fire retardant? So if we create a wooden bed which will be upholstered. Will the bed have to be fire safe? I am confused about which bit will have to be fire retardant when dealing with pets. Thank you very much for looking into this.
Kirsten

I agree the cushion cover can be non-fire retardant and the filling must be fire retardant but what you are proposing is a piece of Domestic Upholstered Furniture.

Which is defined as “furniture of any description which is ordinarily intended for private use in a dwelling and includes beds and divans (including the bases and headboards of both), sofa-beds, children’s furniture, cots (including carry-cots, playpens, prams and pushchairs and any other article of a like nature and use designed to contain a baby or small child), cushions, high-chairs, mattresses (of any size) and pillows, but does not include bedding or floor coverings (including carpets and mats) also furniture which is ordinarily intended for private use in the open air but which is also suitable for use in a dwelling”.

Consequently I think your upholstered wooden dog’s bed fall within that definition and therefore will be subject to the full regulations, including the cover and filling.

Check out http://www.firesafe.org.uk/furniture-and-furnishings-fire-safety-regulations-19881989-and-1993/and http://www.fira.co.uk/flammability

• 5 years later...

Hello, 

I was wondering of I could have some advice too. 

I am looking at making my own dog beds. But they will be soft beds only, filler and textiles cover. So do I just comply with the following: the cushion cover can be non-fire retardant and the filling must be fire retardant? 

I want to clarify that what I am making is not classed as Domestic Upholstered Furniture?

Also what is the fire retardent safety standard for foam or fillers in the UK called? Just so I can make sure I reference this in my conversations with manufacturers.

thank you 

abi

IMO your dog beds would fall under floor cushions and have to fully comply with the regulations. Floor cushions are considered to be any cushion supplied separately and not comprising an integral part of an item of upholstered seating. While not defined in the Regulations, it is commonly accepted that a floor cushion has dimensions which are greater than 60cm x 60cm x nominal product thickness. If there is any doubt over compliance with the Regulations it is recommended that expert advice is sought from the likes of Furniture Industry Research Association  or check out section 11 of the guide.

The guide  Fire safety of furniture and furnishings in the home A Guide to the UK Regulations.

• 6 months later...

I want to create small pet beds. What regulations do I need to follow for these? I want to create more like mats on the floor. I have already created something similar but want to know what regulations I need before selling. Thank you 

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The kite mark only indicates the item conforms to a British Standard and FFFSR labels are a different matter. As pet beds are usually designed to be used indoors I think they should be labelled with FFFSR permanent label but I cannot find anywhere in the guidance documents that indicate this.

• 1 year later...
Guest Dylan

No, you should never have fire retardant in ANY bed regardless whether you’re human or dog. It’s not necessary at all. Fire retardants in beds are toxic and are not good for you or your pet. Please don’t not purchase or have any products containing fire retardants. There are multiple videos that you can look up on YouTube or these links to articles:

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/flame-retardant-dangers-dog/#:~:text=Avoid products with brominated fire,may contain toxic fire retardants.

https://madesafe.org/blogs/viewpoint/product-profile-pet-beds

https://www.berkeleydogbeds.co.uk/blogs/news/memory-foam-dog-beds-beware

Please be aware and keep your pets safe!