What fire detection in shop with flat above?

Guest GeorgePur

George, really too many variables in 'commercial premises with accommodation above' to give you any sound advice - it would depend on height, separation, occupancy type, etc. and may need anything from no system to a full BS5839 Part 1 system. To be honest with a risk of this type you should get professional advice.

The shop is subject to The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 and therefore you need to conduct a Fire Risk Assessment, which includes safety of relevant persons and is a fire alarm necessary. Consequently you need to consider a number of points such as the level of compartmentation between the shop and the flat, is there independent access to both premises including more important egress and there are other considerations.

I think I would err on the side of caution and install a part 1 system in the shop with a sounder in the flat, with a means of silencing the sounder located in the flat without affecting the remainder of the system. Details of the Category of system can be found in BS 5839 part 1.

I would inform the occupier of the flat they should install a BS 5839 part 6 system depending on the layout of the flat.