How can you stop children from a childcare centre leaving through a fire exit?

Guest Rebek

Creating obstructions across means of escape routes is not acceptable and there are solutions to the reasons why obstruction are used.

For example vulnerable persons using the fire exit at inappropriate times, the door can be fitted with devices that allow people to egress but warns those in charge that the fire exit is or been used. If you leave the fire exit open for ventilation purposes and vulnerable people may use it, then sort out the ventilation.

• 9 months later...
Guest Karen B

I am the head of a very small school for autistic learners. Our kitchen is a household type kitchen and the students cook for themselves (with support). As we have a fairly open plan building and a school dog, there is a baby gate to prevent the dog from entering the kitchen/dining area. There is an exit where you don't need to go through the gate and 2 exits where you would have to open the gate unless you were in the kitchen, toilets or dining area. Is this ok? We have a maximum of 8 pupils and at least 3 members of staff, all of the students have personal evacuation plans and the current students access the gate with no issues.

• 1 year later...
Guest Debbiem2112

I visited a softplay centre last week woth my 4 year old sons. 1 of my sons managed to escape and make his way to the bowling alley on the same floor and we could only assume a parent didnt close the door behind them, however on a later visit i followed my son as he was heading toward the toilets however there is a fire escape door beside the toilets that leads to the bowling alley which he very easily opened and ended up running across the lanes which i had to then do to catch him. Is there anything i can ask of the softplay centre to do. My son has no danger awareness and i know responsibiloty lies with the parent but this door is easy to open and any child could escape and it is in a retail park things could have ended alot worse had he got out the main doors. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Guest Skipproo

Hi there, I work in the kitchen of a special needs school. We have a door into the hall and our "fire door" with a swivel round latch to lock the door from the inside and a key lock from the outside leading into the car park.

One of the children unbeknown to us, ran through the kitchen and outside.

We have now been told that as a safeguarding issue, we now have to keep our fire door locked which do not feel at all happy about. Sorry but do we have to keep our fire door locked. Should this be the responsibility of the TA'S?.

Thank you in advance for any advice given. 

Locking isn't usually OK if it requires reliance on a code or key. Kitchens are dangerous environments for children and I'd be more worried that they got in the kitchen and that door should be the first point of concern - child gates, access control, etc