Table top ovens

Guest Margaret Cooling

Guest Margaret Cooling

I have just purchased a Morphy Richards table top mini oven for my mother. The surface she wants to put it on is wooden. I have purchased a heat resistant glass worktop saver that is larger than the oven. Is this a safe procedure?

As green-foam says follow the instruction and there should be no problems as ovens are designed/insulated to kept the heat in and not radiate it out. Providing a heat resistant glass worktop saver seems a good idea and will certainly improve the fire safety situation. You should also ensure sufficient space around the oven to provide adequate ventilation and do not allow flammable materials to come into contact with the oven like curtains, drapes,tea towels etc. Do not allow the lead to come in to contact with any hot surfaces and check the area regularly for the the signs of scorching as an addition safety check. The most likely cause of fire is food left unattended in the oven and overheating, in this situation don't attempt to open the door just switch off the electric supply and cover with damp towels or fire blanket if you have one, then call out the fire service.