Is one entry and exit door enough

Guest Zoejo

I cannot see any reason why not, providing the door is wide enough to cater for all the occupants of the room and the single direction travel distance is acceptable, which it is. (a 760 mm door will accept 60 person escaping) Also all the fire risks are located as far from the door as possible and give due consideration for the location of the portable gas cylinders.

• 2 months later...

Hi
We have a small meeting room approx 12ft squared . There is one fire exit standard door size

Could you please advise how many people could be in the room at any one time

Thanks

The travel distance in the room would most probably be acceptable for travel in one direction, then the travel distance from the room door to a place of comparable safety would depend on the layout of the premises. A single door exit, is a unit of exit width, capable of passing 40 persons per minute but if the door open inwards this would limit the numbers to 60. I have a feeling, that it is going to be pretty crowded in there but under normal conditions I cannot see any problems arising.

Check out http://www.firesafe.org.uk/regulatory-reform-fire-safety-order-2005/ select the appropriate guide and download it, this will provide you with all the information you require.

• 4 months later...

The door you describe as general exit is also your fire exit, most doors are fire exit doors, if you required them to enable you to get out of the premises in an emergency. How many exits are required will depend on the number of people in the room, the location of the door, and the travel distance, it all depend on the fire risk assessment. Check out http://www.firesafe.org.uk/basic-means-of-escape-from-fire/ for more information.

• 5 years later...

Hi, i am wanting to rent my 3 story building which is grade 2 listed.  It only has one door in and out.  I am unable to change the staircase which is narrow on the 2nd floor.  What safety precautions can i put in place.  It is a stone building.

Thanks

Sue

To be fair to give you a correct answer I'd need to carry out your Fire Risk Assessment - it's quite possible that you can let out your building in a compliant matter with the right precautions based on the existing stair layout, but I'd want to see it to advise correctly as there are a variety of aspects that need checking.

• 7 months later...

I live in a cul de sac of bungalows for elderly and disabled. we are all worried as we only have 1 door at the side of our properties... our kitchens are right next to this door and if there was a  bad kitchen fire we would all struggle to get out ... a lot of my neighbours are in wheelchairs or walk with frames/sticks.   we have enquired about this and been told  one door is enough as we are on ground floor!  I'm sure they expect us to get out of our windows? ??  is this true?  this can't be safe can it?

The guides say that windows can be considered as a means of escape and one door is acceptable for most premises but also recommend that the kitchen should be located as far from the exit door as possible, if not then other arrangements are usually required. Because of your situation then it needs to be considered more closely and I would suggest you contact your local fire and rescue service and ask them for an audit.

Check out https://www.firesafe.org.uk/uk-fire-rescue-services-details/.