Fire Alarms and holiday lets

HJeffs

My mother and I have a holiday caravan on a park which we let out privately to guests.   Can anyone confirm to me whether I am required to upgrade the fire alarm (smoke detectors) to an integrated system with one in every bedroom?     If this is the case as there is a sofabed in the lounge area which is open plan with the kitchen and dining area, do i need both in this room?

Up to now we've just had a single battery operated smoke detector which is loud enough and creates a disturbance if it accidently goes off, but with 4 or 5 sounders all going the noise will be deafening?  

Hi,

It's covered here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1147723/A_guide_to_making_your_small_paying-guest-accommodation_safe_from_fire.pdf

"......there will be a need for interlinked domestic smoke alarms and heat alarms (of the type normally found in houses and flats) in all areas where a fire might start. Smoke alarms should be installed in hallways, corridors, staircases, lounges, dining rooms and bedrooms. Heat alarms should be installed in every kitchen, and in any other rooms (such as laundry or utility rooms), in which false alarms might occur from smoke alarms, due to cooking fumes, steam, dust, etc. 

If roof voids contain any combustible
materials or sources of ignition, detection should also be present there. It is not normally necessary to install smoke or heat alarms in bathrooms or toilets.

All smoke and heat alarms in the premises should be interlinked, so that, when any alarm device detects fire, all smoke and heat alarms give an audible alarm  simultaneously. Interlinking may be by means of wiring or radio signalling.

Preferably, all smoke and heat alarms should be mains powered with a tamper-proof standby power supply consisting of a battery. These are technically known as
Grade D1 alarms. However, long-life, sealed battery alarms (known as Grade F1 alarms) may be acceptable as a short-term measure. (say, around 2-3 years).

Additional equipment is available to provide a warning to Deaf or hard of hearing people in the event of fire. This comprises vibrating devices (for installation under pillows or mattresses) and/or flashing beacons.

Further guidance on the provision of fire detection and alarm systems for premises providing sleeping accommodation can be found in BS 5839-6"

I can't say I have heard of fire doors in a caravan

I would also say I think interlinked smoke alarms would be a bit too much, it is after all only a caravan.

Sorry to point out the obvious but the original poster, said in the first line, they are asking about a caravan I guess that bit got missed

11 hours ago, green-foam said:

I can't say I have heard of fire doors in a caravan

I would also say I think interlinked smoke alarms would be a bit too much, it is after all only a caravan.

Sorry to point out the obvious but the original poster, said in the first line, they are asking about a caravan I guess that bit got missed

If you actually read the linked guidance, which has article 50 status, it says:

The fire safety principles and recommendations in this Guide can also be applied to smaller types of outdoor accommodation which fall under the same duties such as holiday caravans, camping and glamping pods, bothies, lodges, shepherds’ huts, tents, tree houses and yurts.

I agree fire doors is taking it a bit far though!