Nightlatch on door

Guest Mike

Are night latches allowed on flat entrance doors?. The door  has no information on it & was installed in late 70’s early 80’s. I thought drilling through doors was not allowed.

These days cylinder rim night latches are not fitted to fire doors.  There are three main reasons: 1) Lack of availability of fire rated cylinder rim night latches.  2) The installation height for a night latch is usually higher on the door than permitted by the fire test evidence for the fire door leaf.  3) The lock cylinder requires a large diameter hole through the door and this may adversely affect the fire resistance performance of the door. 

However, its possible that the existing door and lock combination was accepted by Building Control at the time of installation. 

Hi Mike, Strebord doors with Euro and oval cylinders up to 1400mm up which is good, but as you say it depends on the evidence for the door.  But not for cylinder rim night latches, nada.  Unfortunately.

If you find one please let me know, that would be really useful. Thanks  🙂

To be suitable for a timber-based fire door the night latch needs to be Fire Rated CE / UKCA marked to BSEN12209 and of course compatible with the door leaf in question.  Once the one ordered arrives we may be able to check. Good luck.

• 1 month later...

No CE / UKCA marks on the product or in the packaging and no specific installation instructions pertaining to fire doors.  However, the supplier has provided a Declaration of Performance which references fire resistance testing and use of intumescent material.

As I said no installation instructions provided specific to a fire door and no BS or EN Construction Products Regulations markings on the product or its packaging.  So nothing apparent to be able to link the Declaration of Performance, they provided, to the product.

It would, as a minimum, be necessary to obtain and carefully study the 'relevant' fire resistance test report before considering whether (and how) to install.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/07/2023 at 08:11, Neil Ashdown MAFDI said:

These days cylinder rim night latches are not fitted to fire doors.

Hi, I've posted a question re flat front doors but now this thread is confusing me with regard to what I refer to as a 'yale' lock on a door which I strongly believe isn't fire rated at all - although I note it does have a chain. Are you saying that typical locks are not fitted to flat front doors (as in Yale or similar)? My door has only a mortice lock, with no latch and the door doesn't close because there isn't a means for it to shut itself without actually locking yourself in the flat or locking the flat door from communal side. If a yale isn't suitable or fire rated, what should be there instead? How does the door close and get opened from the inside? Sorry if I'm being dense, but I've never come across a flat door like this one. The other flat doors have two locks - one yale, one mortice.

These days most flat entrance doors have a three point locking system for enhanced security but in years past its quite normal to find a mortice sash-lock or a cylinder rim night latch  - and sometimes both.  There are issues with the use of cylinder rim night latches due to the positioning of the lock so far up the height of the door and because of the large hole required for the cylinder.

All flat entrance doors that are fire doors must have an effective self-closing device.

• 4 months later...
Guest Tony

Hi, I’ve just been reading these last posts and just wanted to know if the Yale lock/ nightlatch would have been okay on a blank door installed in 2003? The door has a plug in it with a circle to prove it’s a fire door but will these locks void the certification?

thanks in advance 

Guest Tony

Hi,

I have just found out that Arrone do a night latch but the lock is not CE /UKCA marked. Arrone have said there is no current requirement for certifire & CE certification. Would it be okay to install this lock on a front door?

The questions are:

1) Will the door self-close effectively with this type of lock fitted?

2) Will the lock have an adverse effect on the fire resistance performance of the door?

Consult the manufacturer of the specific door leaf, where possible, for advice.