Carry an extinguisher when leaving building?

Guest NevilleHy

Guest NevilleHy

In the military, we were trained to take an extinguisher (if on emergency exit route) with us in case a fire is en-route. Is this still the advice or should extinguishers be left in the building ?

If the fire risk assessor has produced a satisfactory means of escape then you shouldn't meet a fire en-route when escaping. If you do then I would suggest, in your terms, a tactical withdrawal is in order as there should be an alternate means of escape.

Fire extinguishers are provided to deal with any fires you discover providing they are in the early stages and within you capability. Your training should highlight which fires are suitable to be tackled and when its time to escape, if in doubt get out! (item 3)

firenotice.jpg

Guest nevilleh

this is in effect the same result,

1. never return unless you have to

2. fight a minor fire if trained

3. where fire is too large, escape via other

route.

I am often laughed at by others on fire drill, for carrying an extinguisher, but I bet they will be behind & not in front of me if a fire breaks-out..

NJH

Nev

If your escape from fire is impeded it is most likely to be heat or smoke and a Portable Fire Equipment will not be effective in that situation. All you are doing is making your escape more difficult by having to lug an extinguisher around with you and worse if you should drop it this could create tripping hazard for your colleagues.

Not to mention, what use would a water extinguisher be if its an electrical fire?

I have to agree with Tom, and add.

A portable fire extinguisher is "first aid" to fight a fire, what use is it if you are outside? besides, take the 9 litre water extinguisher from safelincs CLICK HERE it weighs 13.8 kg, to carry it safely any great distance you need both hands which in turn will make you slower, which is why, as you yourself said,

I am often laughed at by others on fire drill, for carrying an extinguisher, but I bet they will be behind & not in front of me if a fire breaks-out..

Which is saying that in a fire drill, you are the last out because you are pointlessly carrying a fire extinguisher.

Hi green-foam

I do agree that lugging a large extinguisher with you in a panic does not sound like a great idea.

You raised an interesting point about water fire extinguishers and electricity. I would fully agree that ordinary water extinguishers expose you to the risk of electrocution and should not be used near electrical appliances. However, there are a few water based alternatives that can be safely used near electricity. Foam, water with additive and, lately, portable water mist extinguishers, which are all (most brands anyway) safe up to 1000V.

The other question is of course if these extinguishers, while being safe, are actually any good in fighting the electrical fire: There is actually no electrical fire as such; the electricity just sets surrounding materials alight (cable, housing etc) which then have to be extinguished. I guess we are talking mainly burning liquifying plastics and elastomers, which means that foams and water mist, which have a B rating should be well suited. Ordinary waters and waters with additive would probably not be that good. What is your view?

Harry