FRA recommending FD30 Fire doors & Heat detectors

dansma

Hi all

I live in a standard 3 story (ground, 1st 2nd floor) residential conversion with 3 flats and a basement flat. 

The communal area currently has emergency lighting and a mains powered smoke alarm on the entrance floor and first floor, together with appropriate signage (which is a bit OTT considering it is obvious that the fire exit is the front door!)

We have had a new fire risk assessment done and it is recommending two things (copied from report):

1. These flats pre-date the relevant Building Regulations standards. A BS5839 Part 6 Category LD3 domestic fire detection and warning system is provided within the common areas of the premises. In addition to this, a heat detector (interlinked to main system) should be provided within the entrance hallway of each flat. Independent fire detection within flats is the responsibility of tenants. A BS5839 system to category LD3 is recommended. Any system provided by tenants should not be interlinked to the main common areas system.

2. All flat front doors should be to FD30(S) standard. These should be effectively self- closing and be provided with intumescent strips and cold smoke seals. No access to flats at the time of the inspection.

I am unclear on legislation however it is my understanding that point 2 is a legal requirement (that flats have 30 min fire protection to communal area) but has probably been ignored for many years. 

I am unclear on point 1 and if this is a legal requirement - I spoke to the local fire brigade officer for my council and they advised that it should be done is the FRA is recommending it.  The recommendation goes beyond the communal area and into each of the leaseholders flats. While I dont mind doing this, we have had a quote for £1k to install interlinked heat dectctors which seems like a lot!

Any comments / help would be greatly appreciated

Yes - it's correct and should have been this way for decades. A lot of housing is improperly provided for as only having been subject to proper fire safety regulation in recent years.

If your local authority had operated additional licensing for s257 HMO's (i.e. houses converted to flats outside of modern building regulations requirements) and you were two thirds rental occupiers you would have had the right precautions as you would have needed a license, but as most conversions fall outside this scheme (no additional licensing or mostly owner occupied) they slip under the radar.

Here is the source of their action points: http://www.cieh.org/library/Knowledge/Housing/National_fire_safety_guidance_08.pdf