Fire stopping within electrical intake cupboard

Afro_Zen

I recently completed an FRA of a two-storey, purpose built, general needs, residential block, and found the scenario detailed in the attached picture. Firestopping at the bottom of the electrical intake cupboard located on the ground floor. There are no basement levels within the building. The firestopping material has been applied within pipes / ducts that protrude through the floor of the intake cupboard.

Passing up through the pipes are electrical cables and a water service pipe. The fire stopping material isn't ideal. My main query however, is whether fire stopping is actually required. My thinking is that fire stopping material had been applied to possibly stop a potential surge of electricity from a nearby sub station. However, considering the high voltages coming from a substation into a property, the fire stopping material currently in situ wouldn't be adequate. In additon, the fire stopping at the bottom of the water service pipework doesn't make sense either. My other thought was that the fire stopping had been applied simply to close off any potential routes of entry for rodents.

Any thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated. 

IMG_20230124_115814_2.jpg

21 hours ago, Afro_Zen said:

My thinking is that fire stopping material had been applied to possibly stop a potential surge of electricity from a nearby sub station. However, considering the high voltages coming from a substation into a property, the fire stopping material currently in situ wouldn't be adequate

Could you please explain your thinking behind that? How is any fire stop material going to stop an electrical surge through a cable?

Hi Green Foam, Thanks for your reply.

"I don't know", is my answer, that's why I'm asking. As I stated clearly in my post, I'm uncertain of the reasoning for the fire stopping material in the floor of the electrical intake, hence the purpose of my post. As you may have also noted, I provided a couple of ideas as to why I think the fire stop may have been applied. I might be off with my line of thought, but that's the reason why I'm asking the forum. I'm just looking for some constructive feedback.