Suppression System - Insurance Requirement

Guest Guest

I am a Landlord of a multi-occupied period property with a mix of tenants, bars, fast food, retail. My insurance company will not insure the building unless all kitchens have a suppression system installed and unfortunately because of the age of the building, this is the only company who will offer insurance. Some of my tenants will not be able to offered a suppression system. Is there a legal requirement for this and if not, why is the insurance company refusing to insure the building if not? It seems like they are not giving us any choice on the matter.

• 3 weeks later...

Fire safety legislation does not give prescript requirements it simply gives requirements that needs to be achieved like, measures to reduce the risk of fire on the premises and the risk of the spread of fire on the premises, how you can achieve it is left to the guides and codes.

The insurance company is more concerned with property protection and they can lay down conditions they think necessary. If you require their insurance you have to abide by the conditions or negotiate for a more favourable situation.

On 20/09/2022 at 10:47, Guest Guest said:

I am a Landlord of a multi-occupied period property with a mix of tenants, bars, fast food, retail. My insurance company will not insure the building unless all kitchens have a suppression system installed and unfortunately because of the age of the building, this is the only company who will offer insurance. Some of my tenants will not be able to offered a suppression system. Is there a legal requirement for this and if not, why is the insurance company refusing to insure the building if not? It seems like they are not giving us any choice on the matter.

Insurance is nothing to do with legal compliance, which often sets a lower bar. An insurer needs to protect their premiums received from claims so as to stay in business and make a profit. As such insurers will set higher requirements in order to prevent, contain and supress fire - which will include suppression systems in kitchens.

As they are the ones taking the risk they are entitled to set whatever criteria they wish regardless of minimum legal requirements (which don't require them as a matter of course).

The UK is notorious for low standards in many fire safety areas - if you were in the US all your clients cooking food would have had to have had suppression systems to meet the minimum legal requirements there for over half a century.

There are multiple manufacturers of suppressions systems in a variety of designs for different sized kitchens - they should shop around rather than just be quoted for 'Ansul' systems, which are the most well known.