Does a burnt mattress give off poisonous fumes?

Guest lynsay

Guest lynsay

Hi, I hope you don't mind me asking a bit of a silly question - Tonight my daughter said she smelt burning in her room - I looked and fund a mattress from her old bed had been propped against a spotlight which had burned a hole in it - there were no flames but a round black hole - I moved it, poured water on it, put her in her sister's room for the night and shut the door but am just worried in case we are at any risk from chemical fumes - it wasn't an old mattress - bought in about 2004- I would be most grateful for any advice! Thanks.

Hi Lynsay

I found this:

'There are misconceptions that smoke from a fire that involves polyurethane products poses a significantly greater health risk than from other synthetic or natural materials because hydrogen cyanide (HCN) is present in the smoke. HCN is produced whenever nitrogen containing materials are burned, including polyurethanes and other common materials such as sheep’s wool. However, in terms of hazard, carbon monoxide (CO) is typically by far the most abundant toxicant in fires under almost all combustion conditions. '

So, while not a major hazard, it is probably still wise to air the premises for a few days and to wash all soft furnishing and to wipe all surfaces.

Harry

• 8 months later...
Guest freddie

Hi

there is a guest room that is for hire in the sheltered accomadation scheme I live in. It is used for family of residents and staff to stay in. The mattresses of the bed are in a bad conditon with no fire labels. Same as the base of the beds.
Should I report this and if so who do I report it to? Its a Housing association, who seem to be a bit lacking.

Thanks

There is no requirement for permanent fire labels to be attached to mattresses but the Responsible Person (Housing Association) should be able to prove the mattresses meet the required standard if needed and they are not in breach of any legislation. Speak nicely to the housing association they may change them.

• 3 years later...
Guest Eric Conaway
On 13/04/2013 at 3:58 PM, Guest freddie said:

Hi

there is a guest room that is for hire in the sheltered accomadation scheme I live in. It is used for family of residents and staff to stay in. The mattresses of the bed are in a bad conditon with no fire labels. Same as the base of the beds.
Should I report this and if so who do I report it to? Its a Housing association, who seem to be a bit lacking.

Thanks

I would urge caution in reporting someone to any authority.  I would approach the Housing Association calmly. If you are rebuffed then get several other residents to accompany you to the Housing Association. If you are rebuffed again then go over his head.

• 1 year later...

The quote above (August 12) is from the American Chemistry Council's site. The ACC is pretty much a lobby group for the flame retardant industry; therefore not to be trusted to give an objective view. In fact, while it's true that HCN is produced when various materials burn (including wool), what is also true is that far greater amounts of HCN (up to 10 times more) are produced when flame retardants in products burn. See: https://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation/29324384/Flame_retardants_in_UK_furniture_increase_smoke_toxicity_more_than_they_reduce_fire_growth_rate.

• 3 weeks later...

Appropriate furniture in the communal areas in sheltered accommodation would be subject to the fire risk assessment completed by the administration of the sheltered accommodation.

If it has common areas, I would think it depends on who the Responsible Person is, and would be subject to The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...