Mr

Guest Med

Hi

I was asked to wire a magnetic door lock into a fire alarm system, I know that it has to be wired to the fire alarm panel but the company who installed the magnet door lock has mentioned that it can be wire to the nearest call point via an electric interface devise or I/O, is that true? if yes can anyone give me some more info please?  

On 08/08/2022 at 18:20, Guest Med said:

Hi

I was asked to wire a magnetic door lock into a fire alarm system, I know that it has to be wired to the fire alarm panel but the company who installed the magnet door lock has mentioned that it can be wire to the nearest call point via an electric interface devise or I/O, is that true? if yes can anyone give me some more info please?  

The interfacing needs to meet BS7273-4 which most lock/security companies seem to be oblivious of. If you aren't qualified to work on fire alarms you shouldn't really do it.

I can't attach the standard for copyright reasons, but this extract from building regulations summarises requirements:

Electrically powered locks should return to the unlocked position in all of the following situations.
a. If the fire detection and alarm system operates.
b. If there is loss of power or system error.
c. If the security mechanism override is activated.

Security mechanism overrides for electrically powered locks should be a [Green] Type A call point as described in BS 7273-4. The call point should be positioned on the side approached by people escaping. If the door provides escape in either direction, a call point should be installed on both sides of the door.

image.jpeg.0c8d9b709579dfb5ea698d1e35483ffd.jpeg

Fire Alarm connections

1 - Conventional system using control panel's relay
image.png.7d346434c7230ae76ac572eb4381ca3c.png

2 - Addressable system using i/o unit on the loop (also requires programming on the panel, not just a physical job)

image.png.f23d6973eb78fd9226d295bbf951220c.png

On 22/08/2022 at 01:05, AnthonyB said:

but this extract from building regulations summarises requirements:

Electrically powered locks should return to the unlocked position in all of the following situations.
a. If the fire detection and alarm system operates.

Of course I understand the rational for this clause, but where green boxes are used to secure a final exit, surely having the external door unlock when the fire alarm operates is a security risk

If intruders create smoke and introduce it into the building at 2am or on a Sunday,, all final exits open and they are in

18 hours ago, Hayfever said:

Of course I understand the rational for this clause, but where green boxes are used to secure a final exit, surely having the external door unlock when the fire alarm operates is a security risk

If intruders create smoke and introduce it into the building at 2am or on a Sunday,, all final exits open and they are in

There is scope not to have this link in places of detention, certain healthcare scenarios, etc but the default for normal premises is to interface as life is considered more important in the regulatory framework. It's up to the Responsible Person to ultimately decide as legally they carry the can. 

18 hours ago, AnthonyB said:

There is scope not to have this link in places of detention, certain healthcare scenarios, etc but the default for normal premises is to interface as life is considered more important in the regulatory framework. It's up to the Responsible Person to ultimately decide as legally they carry the can. 

This is exactly the set up I help establish for a range of secure buildings where is was untenable to allow such circumstances where people externally could nefariously open final exits and gain access, even with intruder alarm operation.

We added mitigation of monthly manual override tests (on a rota of a small number per week which meant all units were tested in a 4 week period) plus additional signage, plus 2 fire drills per annum