Fire doors for basement flat

Guest Red2K

Guest Red2K

Hi

We live in a basement/garden flat of a converted Victorian semi-detached house. There are four flats above us which share a front entrance and communal staircase / landing areas. Our flat has its own entrace from the side of the building. 

We have been informed by our managing agents that based on a fire risk assessment all flat entrance doors should have hydraulic overhead closures and combined intumescent strip / smoke seals installed. The risk assessment has not differenciated the requirements between the five flats. This requirement makes sense to me for the four flats above us, as their entrance doors open to the communal areas which will be the common escape route. The door to our flat however opens directly to a private garden to the side of the building. 

Do the fire safety regulations require our flat door to meet the fire door requirements? Would be grateful for any guidelines/rules I can point them towards. 

Many thanks 

Providing the door dosent threaten any person trying to pass the door, then a fire door is not required and consequently a self closer is not required. I am not aware of any guidance stipulating this in direct terms I just think it is common sense.

Below is an excerpt from 'Fire Safety in Purpose Built Blocks of Flats'   https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1020410/Fire_Safety_in_Purpose_Built_Blocks_of_Flats_Guide.pdfimage.png.6f3f39db807060e7f481c125d98ea1aa.png

A flat entrance door that opens directly to an outside area would also serve as a final exit. Therefore, as Tom says 'a fire door is not required........' unless the door is required to protect other persons or properties.