Outside the scope of the regulations?

Guest Debbie M

Guest Debbie M

Hi,

Wondering if you can offer some advise or signpost please.  I'm looking to start selling some items that I make, primarily draught excluders but cannot pinpoint which regulations / testing etc would apply as they seem to be between categories.  I suppose they are closest to scatter cushions in construction but not dimension and they they are obviously for a different purpose, so I'm not sure if its a different category that would apply or if they fall outside of the scope of the furnishings regulations.  

I source roll ends of upholstery fabrics from third parties or sometimes  local upholstery mills and use 100% polyester hollofibre filling (marketed as high grade 'toy stuffing'). The items are sealed and the covers are not removeable. Sometimes I mix various fabrics so composition could vary from one design to another.

Any help much appreciated, thank you.

According to the guides, door draught excludes are not included and it would need an interpretation of the legislation and as the Trading Standards Department are the enforcing authority they would be best to respond to this question. What I can say is any materials used to satisfy the regulations needs written proof that they meet the required fire resisting standards.

Thank you Tom for your reply, Trading standards the next port of call then it seems. I've looked at various big brand shop items and cant see any specific labelling on those which is why I thought they may be exempt in some way but best to double check. 

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/01/2022 at 16:00, Guest Hannah said:

Hi debbie what was the conclusion from contacting trading standards?

I was waiting "a few days" just to make sure.  Debbie asked the question 7 months ago, she only made the two posts and has never been back since. I can only suggest you contact your local trading standards office to see if they can help.