Manual Call Point positions

Meady

When installing a new Fire Alarm system to BS5839-1, what is the maximum distance allowed between the exit door and the MCP?

I have looked at BS5839-1 but cannot find anywhere that states a specific distance (only heights from floor)?

18 hours ago, AnthonyB said:

The assumption is they are adjacent, so no need for a distance, what's the exact scenario?

Well...the MCP in question is approx. 4-5m distance from the emergency exit door....the occupants would have to veer away from the escape route / exit slightly to reach it (thats if they remember its there).

My thinking was that it should roughly be arms length (I know everyone's arms are different length so was using 1.5m max distance as a guide) so they could hit it as they escaped?  

That's rather stretching "adjacent"! A useful benchmark would be to take the distances from the requirement for the green manual release call points for exit doors which are also meant to be in close proximity of the relevant door - in BS7273-4 it says ".....They should be sited within approximately 2 m of the associated door(s)....."

On 01/04/2021 at 19:55, AnthonyB said:

That's rather stretching "adjacent"! A useful benchmark would be to take the distances from the requirement for the green manual release call points for exit doors which are also meant to be in close proximity of the relevant door - in BS7273-4 it says ".....They should be sited within approximately 2 m of the associated door(s)....."

Hi AnthonyB - yes, that sounds a lot more "adjacent" than the 4-5m! ?  thanks again for your help.