Sliding Doors

Andy62

Sliding doors on escape routes & exits should open on the sounding of the FA (except for prisons etc) but I cannot find where it is stipulated in recognised guidance/ACoP. BS 7273 stipulates arrangements on power failure but very little on FAsounding. Any suggestions?

It has plenty of information, do you have a copy?

It has a table pointing you to the category of activation of opening in different scenarios and the three categories themselves (Critical, Standard & Indirect) have detailed information on the interfacing with the fire alarm.

4 hours ago, AnthonyB said:

It has plenty of information, do you have a copy?

It has a table pointing you to the category of activation of opening in different scenarios and the three categories themselves (Critical, Standard & Indirect) have detailed information on the interfacing with the fire alarm.

I have a copy and have spent quite a bit of time reading it but I do not find the guidance to be very clear. I was of the opinion that all sliding doors on escape routes or those that are designated fire exits should automatically open on the FA sounding. Table B3 suggests that if the sliding doors can be manually opened they can be a Cat B or Cat C. Table 1 makes reference to electrical power failure of the power supply and/or FA but nothing mentioned regarding cause & effect on the sounding of FA system.

The problem is that, along with other guidance that has been revised in recent years, it's got a bit more woolly and allows the risk assessment to determine.

Just as maglocks should fail safe on the fire alarm system I'd expect the same for sliding doors, especially if needing to be 'panic proof' where even if manually openable there could be issues.