Self Closers on ALL doors?

Guest Steve

Hello

advice on closers please, got a council building, 3 floors high, each with lots of offices as you can imagine being a council, each corridor has fire doors on self closers at each end, however, the corridors themselves have about 6 offices in each corridor, the doors to each office are approx 45mm thick, got 3 hinges and have brown strips in them, although no badges saying Fire Door Keep Shut, Should ALL these doors have a self closer or are the ones at entrance / exit from corridor enough ? 

Thanks

21 hours ago, AnthonyB said:

How long is the corridor, is it in the same occupancy and what detection is present? They may not need to be fire doors onto the corridor

Hi Anthony

corridors containing offices with what looks like fire door on each office with brown strip , (no closers) are approx16 -  25m long, North end which has fire door with closer leads to exit stairwell with final door out of building at bottom, south end with fire door/closer leads to stairwell that also contains lift, once down, through another fire door to main ent/exit, just wondering why doors to offices in the corridors have 3 hinges, brown strip on both sides and top, but no closers, I thought ALL fire doors had to have closers Unless it was a cupboard to be locked ?? :) 

On 09/10/2020 at 23:30, AnthonyB said:

How long is the corridor, is it in the same occupancy and what detection is present? They may not need to be fire doors onto the corridor

Not sure if reply is working ? the reply doesnt seem to be coming up, I`ll try again, corridors are approx 20 - 25m long, North end has Fire door on closer that leads to stairwell going to final door out the building, South end leads to Stairwell that has a lift, goes down to lobby that has another fire door that leads to reception and way out, there is full fire detection and lighting, the offices on each floor have thick 45mm doors with brown strips on both sides and across tops, no closers, no keep shut signs, point is, I Though ALL fire doors had to have self closer Unless the door was to a cupboard / store that would be Locked :) Why spend money on a 45mm door and put strips in if they dont need it and dont need closers? 

Thanks

Just as an add, watching a video on youtube by bwf and comment made is,  Quote " ALL Fire doors Must have a self closing device except in the case of dwelling houses or where Fire doors are required to be locked" Unquote :)  

As your posting was delayed I believe we have all answered you sufficiently on FireNet. Fire door blanks are often used when not required, it can be for matching purposes, economy of scale on bulk buying the same blank, to increase contract value and much more!

• 2 months later...
On 12/10/2020 at 21:22, Guest Steve said:

Yes thank you mate, Firenet, Your good self and the chaps did the job more than adequately, thanks very much ?

Do you have access to the buildings Fire Strategy as the office doors may not need to be fire doors but have just been put in. I have found that a lot but when seeing a Fire Strategy the way the compentmatation had been worked out they actually didn't need to be fire doors. Just a thought from my own experience as I am learning all the time.