Recommended Detector types in bedsits

AdrianO

I've surveyed a couple of properties this morning which are refurbishment projects of flats within three storey Edwardian properties.  The flats include some bedsits with kitchen and bed space in the same room, some with poor layouts i.e. with the kitchen area closest to the flat exit door.  

The properties have a Grade A LD1 alarm system with a simultaneous evacuation policy.  The bedsits are fitted with heat detectors in one property and multi-sensor detectors in the other sited in the kitchen area of the room.  

My concern is about occupants smoking in bed and the risk from a smouldering fire with a relatively slow activation of the heat detector or multi-sensor programmed more towards heat.

I'd be interested in views as to how to address this? I've seen non-interlinked stand-alone (10 year battery) type smoke detectors over the bed recommended.  What do others think?

Sounds like there should be a mixed system, but there is only the common provision. Usually the Grade A common system has heats in the bedsit to prevent building wide false alarms (but alerting still if there is a fire when that occupier is out) and each bedsit has local Grade D smoke alarms to protect the life safety of the occupier (but being local only cooking and other false alarms only disrupt that occupier)

https://www.rla.org.uk/docs/LACORSFSguideApril62009.PDF