Legal requirement to service sprinlkers

Guest Darren123

Guest Darren123

Hi

I am trying to establish whether there is a legal requirement to service sprinklers at 6 and 12 months.  I am aware of the BS requirements, but would like to establish whether these are recommendations or a statutory requirement.  This is not with a view to foregoing servicing but in the COVID-19 climate I am concerned that labour shortages will prevent services being completed on time and if this is the case would like to know whether this would be considered failure of a legal obligation.

Thanks

Yes, Article 17 of the Fire Safety Order requires a suitable system of maintenance. Suitable is as a default the benchmarks in the DCLG Guides and British Standards. A fire risk assessment would determine if a different service regime is possible - this isn't beyond possibility but must demonstrate why it still provides adequacy.

All duty holders have been advised to review their FRA as a result of the current climate and this will determine where service intervals can be relaxed....and where they may need increasing!