Kapok as filling

Guest JadeNew

Guest JadeNew

I’m looking to produce dog beds with kapok filling however my research shown that kapok fibre is classed as:

Class 4.2 Spontaneously combustible

Class 4.1 Fire hazard (Flammable solids)

Am I allowed to produce a product using filling that is classed like the above? I’ve seen plenty pillows and duvets with kapok filling being sold on the UK market and therefore confused about the actual requirements on this material. 

Anyone can help clarify? Thank you!

From the FIRA guide on the FFFSR,

"The situation regarding pet beds remains unclear. Discussions with enforcement officers regarding these products have indicated that they are outside the scope of the Regulations. However, they would still be expected to comply with the General Product Safety Regulations and therefore the enforcement officers might expect any foam used in these products to be Schedule 1 compliant as detailed in the Regulations. However, it is important to note that only a court of law would be able to decide whether or not this is the case."

I think because of the General Product Safety Regulations it would be unwise to use kapok and because other manufacturers take a chance or float the law I would not advise it.

Check out Fire safety of furniture and furnishings in the home A Guide to the UK Regulations and if necessary contact them. 

Kapok is quite nasty from a safety point of view:

It is irritant: as the fibres are designed to disperse seeds on the wind, it is advisable to wear a dust mask when stuffing items with kapok, as the fibres fly in all directions and can irritate the lungs.

It is flammable: the trapped air makes kapok highly flammable, and if it catches fire it is difficult to put the fire out. Special precautions are needed to transport kapok e.g. in the hull of ships.

One advantage cited of this characteristic is that kapok can be used as tinder!

Guest JadeNew
On 30/12/2019 at 20:26, Tom Sutton said:

From the FIRA guide on the FFFSR,

"The situation regarding pet beds remains unclear. Discussions with enforcement officers regarding these products have indicated that they are outside the scope of the Regulations. However, they would still be expected to comply with the General Product Safety Regulations and therefore the enforcement officers might expect any foam used in these products to be Schedule 1 compliant as detailed in the Regulations. However, it is important to note that only a court of law would be able to decide whether or not this is the case."

I think because of the General Product Safety Regulations it would be unwise to use kapok and because other manufacturers take a chance or float the law I would not advise it.

Check out Fire safety of furniture and furnishings in the home A Guide to the UK Regulations and if necessary contact them. 

Thank you for your advice, it’s very informative and also what I was afraid of. I’ll keep looking for other alternatives then. Happy New Year!