Fire Door Seals?

I have fire doors in out building which have been in place for many years, they have glass apertures but no intumscent seals. they do not appear to have had these for a very long time, must we fit them? they are marked as fire doors and comply other than this fact.

Guest Firespotter

Hi

While there is such a thing as a fire door without smoke seals (theoretically FD30 instead of FD30s) which can be used on areas where the passage of smoke is of no concern, all fire doors should have intumescent fire door seals. These days smoke seals (basically a brush) and intumescent fire door seals (thin strip of intumescent wrapped in plastic)are usually integrated in one seal.

As your door is already in existence you could fit surface mounted fire door seals to stop you having to cut a rebate into the door or frame. These surface mounted seals are usually stuck to the door with self-adhesive.

If the fire door was installed before 1987 then it will have been tested to BS 476 part 8 and will have no intumescent strips and 25mm rebates. If after 1987 it will have been tested to BS 476 part 22 and fitted with intumescent strips and 12mm rebates. A part 8 door will fail a part 22 test with a duration of about 15 to 20 minutes but depending on the findings of your fire risk assessment it may be acceptable not to fit intumescent strips. Another point to consider the intumescent strip maybe fitted under lipping on both edges but it could be visible on the top edge of the fire door.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Fadbo

Hi

I am a student studying building surveying and I would like to enquire about fire resisting doors in commercial buildings. I am a little confused. I am looking at a double fire door that has no seals is that not compulsary ? above the door are 2 fire dampers was wondering whether you could be of help or direct me to the right place please. Many thanks

• 2 months later...
Guest KevBash

Are you able to advise when a fire door requires smoke seals as well as intumescent strips? I have a contractor who installed intumescent strips only to a Worship Hall and I don't know if I need to get them changed.

Thanks

Kevin

• 3 months later...
Guest RonHilde

We have quite a few fire doors that need the frame gasket replaced and I cannot find it . The Door frame has a plate "Warnock Hersey 1 hr with the serial # WHI 903848 (Donbarton Corp in Dothan, Al

• 2 years later...
Guest Nigelfer

Is it law that new FD30 doors should be factory supplied as a set including frame, hinges, I/Strip, etc ? or is it still OK to fit on site as individual components as long as the guidelines are followed for the FD30 door manufacturer.

There is no legislation that requires fire door sets to be fitted, that is up to the fire risk assessor and the enforcing authority, what they are prepared to accept.

If you fit a certified fire door set, then you will have documentation from a third party proving the installation will be fit for purpose and acceptable to any enforcing authority.

If you don’t it is classed as a nominal 30FD and you will not have any documentation, proving it is fit for purpose, this will be up to you to prove it, if things go pear shaped. Consequently following the guidelines of the door manufacturer on what door furniture to use and how it should be installed is very important.

Check out http://www.pfpf.org/pdf/passive_data/timber_fire_doors.pdf and http://www.firesafe.org.uk/fire-doors/ for more information.