Fire Doors with Aluminum frames

Guest Daniel

Dear Sirs,

I was looking for some advice on Fire Doors with metal frames and the required compliance. A building I recently visited had several timber fire doors with metal frames and only 2 hinges (ASSA EN-1935 11). My first thoughts was that they needed to have three grade 13 fire rated hinges and the two hinges would be insufficient. Are you aware of any different specifications/requirements for metal frames? Would it have been compliant at the time of installation? There appears to be very little information available on the internet on timer doors with metal frames. Installing an additional hinge may not be possible and the whole frame may have to be replaced.

Any experience and advice you have on this matter would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you for your reply. There is no information available reference the door leaf manufacturer. They are fairly old doors and I'd imagine have been in situ for approximately 15-20 years. To ensure current compliance we are thinking replacing the linings with a compliant timber version and installing three GR13 hinges is the only option we have.