Open Thread Staircase in Stairway for HMO

Guest Dele

I need guidance on open thread staircases with respect fire protection in a HMO. The property is a 3 floor HMO with protected stairway and 30 mins fire door to every room. The staircase from 2nd floor to 3rd floor is an open thread wooden staircase and it is over the staircase from ground floor to 1st floor.  I have just had an inspection from Council HMO officer and it was  indicated that the underside of the open thread staircase need to be boarded up with plasterboard or similar to prevent smoke rise. While I do not have problem doing it, it does not make sense to me because smoke will just rise through the sides (see photo). I don’t see the need for it because the whole stairway is protected. I was wondering whether the officer is confusing this situation with when a staircase is over an area that is not part of the protected stairway as the case is with the staircase from ground floor to 1st floor which is boarded up.   Is there a logical explanation to this request? 

Thanks 

Dele

DE7A654A-D904-464E-8327-C00E2E63794E.jpeg