Push bar door lockable internally?

Hi,

Our village hall has main double doors with an internal push bar mechanism and key-operated external access. If the door is locked with a key and opened by the push bar from inside it will lock again when it closes. 

This is fine most of the time but occasionally the hall is accessed by another door and we want to be able to unlock the main door from inside without a key.

Is there a product available that would do this? I'm imagining a set up with

• A push bar that ALWAYS unlocks door from inside
  • Key to unlock from outside
  • Internal thumb latch or similar that can unlock or lock door from inside (but that does not override the push bar mechanism)

This would allow people who came in to lock or unlock the main doors for general access without having to have a key for this door.

Grateful for any advice.

Thanks

Hi Max

Yes, there is such a solution. The Exidor 284 panic bar for double doors   

- has a hold back (aka dogging feature) which allows the bolts to be set in the withdrawn position allowing access without key from inside and outside.

- can be used with a key operated outside access device Exidor 302

- will, of course, always open fromthe inside even when locked

Any questions, please let me know

Harry

On 09/03/2019 at 12:25, Tom Sutton said:

Couldn't you use the key to enter from the outside and use the push bar to exit from the inside?

Thanks, yes. But the idea is to be able to lock/unlock the door from inside without a key. Currently pushing the bar will still mean the door is locked when it closes.

On 11/03/2019 at 08:31, Safelincs said:

Hi Max

Yes, there is such a solution. The Exidor 284 panic bar for double doors   

- has a hold back (aka dogging feature) which allows the bolts to be set in the withdrawn position allowing access without key from inside and outside.

- can be used with a key operated outside access device Exidor 302

- will, of course, always open fromthe inside even when locked

Any questions, please let me know

Harry

Thanks Harry,

That is a useful product. Do you know if it is available for double rebated doors? Or can a hold-back feature be added to an existing push bar?

Cheers,

Max 

On 12/03/2019 at 18:12, Safelincs said:

Hi Max, could you please upload a photo? I can't quite understand your concern regards rebated door. Obviously you will have one leading leaf. The hold-back feature is integral to the push bar system and cannot be retrofitted.

Harry

Thanks Harry,

The exodir 284 is not designed for rebated doors and the 285 (which IS designed for rebated doors) does not come with a hold-back option unfortunately.

The active leaf has a push-bar that operates a latch. Would I be able to replace this single door mechanism with a new push-bar that has a hold-back function? The other door would remain operated by a bolt mechanism.

Cheers,

MaxIMG_20190309_164309.thumb.jpg.1b0d580114c64de6c182c17c8d02499b.jpgIMG_20190309_164327.thumb.jpg.91401ad8f8ff78c43673577395086b42.jpg

Are talking about a dogging facility?

A dogging facility is a means of holding the latch bolts retracted to permit free passage through the door until released when the door is then secured. The legislation BS EN 1125 specifies that for fire/smoke door assemblies the panic device shall not include any form of dogging mechanism. Therefore such devices can only be used on escape doors.

Hi Max

You are right, the 285 panic bar for double doors is the correct solution for rebated double doors. After a bit more digging I also found out that there is actually an accessory to achieve the hold-back/dogging functionality. The Exidor 299 allows the retrofitting of a holdback. Please see below.

image.png

If you are interested, I we can get you a quote. Please direct message me.

Harry

6 hours ago, Safelincs said:

Hi Max

You are right, the 285 panic bar for double doors is the correct solution for rebated double doors. After a bit more digging I also found out that there is actually an accessory to achieve the hold-back/dogging functionality. The Exidor 299 allows the retrofitting of a holdback. Please see below.

image.png

If you are interested, I we can get you a quote. Please direct message me.

Harry

Hi Harry,

Thanks for your response, although I don't think the accessory would work on the active leaf of our door - as there is no bolt mechanism, just the latch shown in the photos.

I have found a latch-mechanism active leaf pushbar with a hold-back facility elsewhere and will get this to replace the existing push bar.

Thanks for your help tho.

Cheers,

Max