Evacuation policy for visitotrs in Care Homes

UnicornFire

I am seeking the view of the forum regarding the actions to be taken by visitors in the event of a fire alarm activation in a Care or Nursing Home. 

We provide fire safety training for a number of care homes in our local area and teach that (pending the confirmation of a fire), conventional 'progressive horizontal' process is undertaken by staff for residents. 

However, we urge that guests and other visitors vacate the premises immediately on hearing  the  fire alarm and wait on the assembly point for further guidance.

One of our homes is adamant that guest and visitors should remain where they are and await guidance from staff.

Personally, I can se no reason why they shouldn't evacuate immediately and I really don't want to teach their staff a strategy that I fundamentally disagree with.

I cant find any official guidance, but I would very much value forum members view on the matter.

Mike

I would think as an trainer you should be teaching each care home the fire action plan (FAP) for that particular premises as designed by the Responsible Person. I do not think it is your responsibility to decide what the FAP should be, that decision should be made at the FRA level.

If you cannot live with a particular FAP then explain why and concentrate on the ones that you do.