Legal requirement for fire doors

Guest Toni

I'm just enquiring if it is a legal requirement for me to have fire doors in my home . I live on the 1st floor of a maisonette, there are already fire doors on every room, 2 of which need replacing as the handles had gone and due to the council not repairing them they are now broken where my children have shut themselves in. The council have made me wait at least 6 months as they keep sending people out to measure for the doors and then cancelling the appointments. I got cross with them today and have now been told that it's not a legal requirement to have firedoors. I'm confused. Oh, there is no fire escape on my property either.  I hope you can help

The council has a legal duty to ensure fire safety devices are subject to a suitable maintenance regime and kept in efficient working order. However, the fire doors would usually be the flat entrance door and the doors in the common areas (not usually the doors inside the flat). Guidance regarding fire doors at purpose built blocks of flats is available at https://www.local.gov.uk/sites/default/files/documents/fire-safety-purpose-built-04b.pdf 

You say "there is no fire escape on my property" well the front door is your fire escape, what I think you mean there is no alternate means of escape which may not be required depending on the layout of the maisonette. Depending on the height of your floor from the ground you may require escape windows?