Common Areas in Flats

Hi

When undertaking fire risk asssessments in purpose built flats you take into consideration the fire stopping, compartmentation etc of the lobby's & protected stairways.

My question is determining the fire resistance of the walls & ceilings where required especially where stay put policies are in force and rely on it.

Apart from the obvious breaches of their integrity would the only way to be 100% certain to recommend a survey be carried out?

I know it is extra expense but in light of recent events could it be deemed as reasonable?

Many Thanks

Depends on the age of the building, the as built information available and a general 'feel' for the premises. Some I'm happy to stay put with only a part survey (usually because service penetrations are not correctly sealed) as the walls & floors are to a suitable specification, others a full check of everything is needed

Check out what it says in Fire safety in purpose-built blocks of flats, and then be clear in your report what it is you are, and aren't including in your assessment. You can only survey what you see without destroying the fabric of the building and make it clear that the survey is not intrusive and if they want otherwise this would entail potentially a lot of damage throughout. You can check service shafts and certainly the bottom of service shafts where pipework and cabling enter/exit, also check above suspended ceiling, however this would mean carrying step ladder/torch. As the assessment is purely non-destructive and as AB says it all depends on your findings what you think it reasonable to recommend a follow-up compartmentation survey.

• 2 months later...

I have a terrace house which is in two flats ground and first floor. there is a small common area 10ft x 3 ft with one door for bottom flat and one for the top flat. I am selling the top flat and need to have fire check doors to both flats. can I cover the existing doors with a material to make them into a fire check door

Are there escape windows in accordance with Approved Document B (Fire Safety) in each habitable rooms and are the doors well fitting substantial doors to the escape route, check out page 46 of  FIRE SAFETY Guidance on fire safety provisions for certain types of existing housing.