What do I need in place to be able to service fire extinguishers out of my workplace?

Guest Tynelson

Guest Tynelson

Hi everyone just looking for some advice on servicing extinguishers outside of my workplace.I done the course around 3 years ago passed and have been certificated. What would I need in place if I was to service a extinguisher for a small business? Would I be covered with my certificate and a check sheet which I'll provide to business post service? Any help would be appreciated thank you.

Hi

If your certificate is still valid and you have the appropriate tools, spares and information to perform the servicing, as well as insurance (in case anything goes awry), then there should be no reason that you cannot service extinguishers. It is worth checking your certificate for an expiry date as I believe you will soon be due for a refresher and re-certification (if not already).

You would need some service labels for the extinguishers and service sheets to fill out and give to the customer after the job is done. And if you are doing this as a paid job you will need to be registered for TAX, etc.

Hope this helps.

First you need a refresher course, then liability & efficacy insurance, a full set of tools, consumables, service labels, etc, initial stock and an account with as trade supplier (expect to pay up front at first unless you've got decent credit references). Some contracts will require you to be third party certified, most won't. Membership of one of the trade associations can be of help.

I'd do some course to up-skill to offer other fire safety services as well, if you aren't going to be one of the many cowboys you will struggle to make a lot of money just doing extinguishers these days.

Guest Tynelson

Thankyou both for the advice, I just wanted to make sure everything was in place before I did venture outside my workplace, as I work on the MOD and have been servicing fire extinguishers in house for the previous 3 years everything I needed i.e insurance and liability I have already been covered for, the main reason for asking is a couple of friend's of mine locally have opened up small businesses and asked if I could check and service extinguishers and I didn't want to go there not 100% legit for them and myself. Thanks again for both you advice very much appreciated.

Guest Tynelson

It covers me for my place of work i.e the site I'm on, I doubt it covers me for my own work outside for my own benefit, I'm going to look into the insurance and public liability side of it to see where I stand on it though.

That's what I thought.

I also think that unless there is a lot of extinguishers to be serviced, the cost of your own insurance will be more than your friends will pay to have theirs serviced.

Sometimes in life you have to walk away from a job, I think this is one of those times.