Can I introduce evacuation drill in residential property?

Guest StoyNik

Guest StoyNik

I work as a Building Manager in residential property in North London, Part of my duties is to ensure the Fire Safety of the building. The building is 5 storey purpose build block of flats, consist of 90 individual studio flats. We also have a shared kitchen and laundry room on each floor. Each Floor is equipped with smoke and heat detectors, as well as with fire blankets and powder fire extinguishers. The building is fitted with a direct Fire Alarm System with no delay. All communal parts are equipped with adequate fire fighting equipment and fire routes and exit signs. we carry out a FRA every year. To my opinion as a landlord, we provide adequate Fire Safety the building with plenty information for the tenants and trainings for staff. However, my question is regrading Fire Evacuation Drill, I tried to educate my self on the subject reading documents such as: Fire Safety Order 2005, The Housing Act 2004, Fire Safety in sleeping accommodations; Fire safety in Purpose Build Flats and others and yet is no clear to me if the fire drills are ONLY for workplaces, schools and others or they are must have for al premises? I would love to have them as a good practice but the problem i face is that my tenants(which are private tenants) are very reluctant to the idea and simply refuse to participate. Can you help me with more information and advice. Thank you in advance.

The RR(FS)O only apply to the common areas of block of flats therefore the flats themselves are exempt and consequently the residents, (except for article 32.2). As you can see from that they are free to decide to take part or not, but you still have to consider their safety as relevant persons and you appear to be doing that by providing a high degree of Fire Safety with plenty information for the tenants on their actions in case of fire.