Are fire exits allowed to be used for deliveries?

Guest Mark Thompson

Guest Mark Thompson

Could you answer this question for me please.

If a fire exit door opens outwards onto private residential land from a commercial building, can they use this exit for there deliveries. Is it not just a fire escape?

Look forward to a reply as this is becoming a problem for out community 

Thanks

It is not just a fire escape it could be used for deliveries but it is important to remember it is a fire escape and care must be exercised to ensure it can be used if needed. No blocking the exit with deliveries and in a moments notice it can again be used as a fire exit.

• 2 weeks later...

Plenty of commercial premises have fire exit doors that double as delivery entrances and I don't think you are going to get what you want this way. You obviously don't have any fire safety concerns and this is an access/land civil law issue - why is it a problem?

• 8 years later...
Guest Nick

Hi I'm wondering where a company stands if while making a delivery a fire breaks out and that as per regulations you leave the delivery item in the stair well... is the person or company punnishable in court and what are the actual regulations can a company tell you a item had to be delivered as surely this is a legal grey area and has anyone been punished for this in UK law