Additional fire doors required

Guest SharonDa

Guest SharonDa

Hello we are a school that was built in 1995. We recently had a fire risk assessment and as a result they have recommended that we install 3 more sets of fire doors in the part of the building that was built in 1995. Has the law changed in relation to fire doors since 1995 and that is the reason that we have been advised to upgrade?

In 1995 you were not subject to any enforceable fire safety legislation other than building regulations and all the guidance was prescriptive.  In 2005 the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 was introduced, you now have legal obligations and the guidance moved from prescriptive to risk assessed.

Assuming you have employed a competent fire risk assessor he/she will have applied the latest guidance and provided a report which you should consideration seriously. A competent fire risk assessor is on your side and should not be asking for alterations that are not necessary, in many cases fighting the enforcing authority (fire and rescue authority) on your behalf if there is any conflicts.

Just to say I agree with Tom. I work as a fire door inspector and receive this type of query sometimes and I always urge building operators (where they have engaged a professional for fire safety advice) to ask them to back-up their recommendations with references to legislation and best practice guidance documents particular to the matter in question. Having the relevant information will help you in the decisions you have to make.

Regards,

Neil Ashdown CertFDI