Electricity cupboards

Guest Ryvita

Guest Brendan

I have purchased a new build flat and the utility cupboard which houses fuse box etc doesn't have Fire doors, are they supposed to have them? (And which regulation?) thanks 

• 3 months later...
Guest Roberto

Hi everyone. I have a large fuseboard electrical cupboard constructed of painted wood in the commonways of a house comprising of 4 self-contained flats that requires 60 mins mins fire protection. It’ is 1670 x 1370mm - too big to be housed in a metal fire resistant outer and it can’t be moved - please see the cupboard photo. Therefore the intention is to: 1). rip out the wooden enclosure. 2). Erect a metal stud work frame compatible with the use of Promatect 500 calcium silicate 35mm board which has the desired 60 mins fire protection. 3). Cut and fit a 1-hour rated fire door for 2 leaves.
My question is a). what should constitute the component parts please to ensure the finished cupboard meets the requirements for 60 minutes minimum fire protection in terms of: fire rated screws, door hinges, intumescent strips, smoke seals, fire stop sealant and anything else you suggest is required? b). How should these components be configured? e.g. What seals on the door leaves and where? Is there any manual online available to follow for fire-proofing a cupboard and building a fire proof cupboard from scratch? I haven’t been able to find a guide. Thank you very much.

IMG_3805.jpeg

• 3 months later...
Guest Guest Dean

In relation to the wiring going into the cavity and/or flat, is there any regulation that says this needs to be suitably firestopped in order to stop the smoke spreading through building in the event of a fire? 

Seeing this get picked up a lot on FRA's??

The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 - 8 Duty to take general fire precautions.

The fire stopping forms part of the general fire precautions to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the safety of any of his employees; and in relation to relevant persons who are not his employees, take such general fire precautions as may reasonably be required in the circumstances of the case to ensure that the premises are safe - by stopping the spread of fire/smoke though the building affecting escape.